Nosler Accubond Bullets.

After reading through all the story.... it sounded to me like the bullets did the work....and they needed more time on the range before they went!! :eek:

Hope they tipped the trackers pretty D@*m well.

I've been using Nosler BT's for many years and know they work very well. But this year I'm testing Barnes Triple Shocks. And visiting the range often. :p

I've been using the Swift version of that bullet in a couple .277" guns. A bonded bullet works a lot better(retains more weight) than a standard plastic tipped bullet but it still isn't in the same league as a partition, A-frame, or an 'X' bullet.

I bonked a bear Saturday evening with a 140 accubond out of my 270 wthby. The distance was a whopping 10 feet so the accubond made the best of the 3200 fps. Thru the lungs and a dead bear slinky roll later it was time to gut. The lungs where nuked and I was happy with the horrible performance of the accubond. I think I'll keep loading it. :rolleyes:

Rogue....Congrats on your bear.... :) ....

10 feet...That's certainly SPITTIN' distance... Did the bullet exit..??...
If so, that would say a lot for its ability to maintain its integrity at high velocities...

I was unable to get Accubonds to shoot last fall in my Remington, so I had to quickly go back to my Partitions. I will spend more time this summer trying to get them to shoot, but I may be a Partition person again this year.

Jose, I've found that unlike most bullets, Accubond and Ballistic Tip bullets will perform better at the extremes of the load range, with the best performance right at or just slightly above the max listed loads. I'm not sure how you are loading, but this always seems to work for me. Good luck.

:cool:

Yah, I wish I had my bow. I probably could have done jumping jacks, he was chowing down on a deer carcass and let me walk right up on it. The Accubond ripped right on through broadside. The heart/lungs looked like they were hammered by a partition. I should have a decent muley tag this year that I probably will use the same load on. Might even use it for a cow tag, but I kinda wanted to use 130 tripple shock at 3400 fps for the cow.

For most of my life I have used Sierra Gamekings Bullets, I favor the 165 GK in the 308 win and the 200 GK in the 30-06. The 250 GK in my 338 Win also. I have harvested game from coast to coast, and even here in Alaska.

The 308 Win with 165 GK and 43.6 of IMR 4895 is the load I use most often. I have added a 300 WSM to my hunting arms and might add the 180 GK to the list.

SRR when I hear the badmouthing of the Sierra's I have to wonder too... Its been my experience, that they perform very well at modest velocities... I've put about 15 bulls on the ground using a 160gr game king out of my 7 mag, and a hand full of deet with that rifle, but have put a few truck loads of deer on the ground with GK and a 243... Most all the shots at elk were out there in the 250-350 yard range. They preformed perfectly!!! Most every one resulted in a bang flop. They kill up close as well, I'm not sure I would take a raking shot with one, but I woudlnt' take that shot anyway... I'm willing to say I was defeated and go home with out killing a bull if all I get is an THS...

I shot a cow last fall with the accubonds, and also a deer. I thought they preformed very well. The deer was shot from about 90 yards with a 280 and a 140 accubond, the elk was killed at about 340 yards with the same rifle and a 160 accubond. The buck took about three steps stood for about 5 seconds and fell over dead. the bullet didn't exit however and was found under the hide on the opposite side... Internal damage was outstanding, very much like a game king or ballistic tip! The recovered bullet weighed 100 grains. The cow was hit in the in the spine, dumped her on the spot of course and was dead on the spot as far as we could tell. The thing that surprised me was... The bullet exited after mushing the spine from 300+ yards!

I'm switching the the accubonds in my 7mag just to make life easier for loading...

OSOK... Basically the same POI, I got real lucky while working up the loads, under MOA. The 140's were a moderate load, and the 160's were a little on the warm side :D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back