Northwest Alaska Report

northwestalaska

Hi guys:

I have been bombed with e-mails and phone calls in the past few weeks from guys about to make the trek up to NW Alaska in the next 30 days for the fall hunting season seeking advice. So…. Here is the skinny from Kotzebue and the SW side of the Brooks Range.

We have had a cool and wet July and early Aug. Today’s temps are only in the low 40’s and I expect we will see a season a lot like last fall where there was lots of poor weather so plan accordingly. Remember that you need to give yourselves a few extra days at the end of your hunt as the weather controls the pilot’s ability to pick you up. Last year many guys were stuck for 5-7 extra days because the planes could not get out for almost a week, planing for the extra days is needed! Wet and cool weather. Plan for a sloppy hunt as Sept is a month of change in NW Alaska and don’t skimp on the clothes. Your ability to stay dry and conserve body heat is essential to having a good and safe experience up here! This is an unforgiving land and mistakes can be fatal!

Drop hunts

Talk to your transporter before you head out and ask questions, lots of questions! Remember, you’re the customer and any transporter who is not willing to answer all of your questions is not doing his/her job! Last season I worked with a party of 4 hunters setting up a 10 day float hunt and they arranged their own transportation. This is fine but when the transporter would not sit down with them and explain where they were going to be dropped bad things happened. They were dumped right on top of 2 other hunting parties and in a spot that offered almost no opportunity to do a float hunt. Results were 10 days of hunting on top of other groups and “0” caribou, “0” moose and a very unhappy bunch of hunters. Ask questions! If you’re doing a float hunt be sure that you have enough river below you to allow for a good hunt. 7 days should be between 25-40 miles. This gives you lots of country and the ability to set up 2-3 camps if needed.

Pilots

I have talked with Both Eric Sigh and Buck Maxon and they have only a few spots left so if you still need a flight you need to get after it quick! Buck can be reached at 907-442-3030 ( Arctic Air Guides) and Eric is at 907-442-2936 ( Hageland Aviation) We have had one large transporter get into a bunch of legal trouble with the Feds and will/has lost their permit, you need to ask those types of questions to.

Float hunts

As most of you know I operate an outfitting business here in Kotzebue and I rent camps and float set ups. I have 2 raft set ups remaining for this season if you are looking for a float hunt. I can be reached at www.northwestalaska.com, [email protected] or at 907-442-3944. I am a small operator that prides himself at personal service and affordable prices. We are much less expensive that the Anchorage rental places and Much better then what you will be charged by all of the transporters. If you need advice or to set up float,drop me a e-mail.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
;)

Thanks for taking the time and posting this. While I am headed to Dillingham in a month, this is all good information.

NW-AK, Thatx for the Info. Although I'm not heading to that neck of the Woods this year, Next year might not be out of the question.

Back