North Idaho

TheTone

How do you feel about brush and timber? Elk hunting ranges from really good to IMO terrible. Just really unit by unit and sometimes just one ridge or drainage to the next. Tons of opportunities for whitetail hunting, not much for mule deer if that’s more your thing

Ben Long

Two words: Totally different. As in, "I can't believe I am still in the same state." It's a very different mind game hunting open country compared to the rugged wet jungles of northern Idaho. Some can make the switch, it drives other folks crazy.

Backofbeyond

Apples vs. oranges man.

I grew up in the north. Killed a lot of deer and elk up there with a lever action .30-30 with iron sights. It's more still hunting because the brush and timber is SOOO thick. It's taken me a while to get used to the spot and stalk style hunting down here. In a lot of ways, I still suck at it and want nothing more than to get the wind in my favor and creep through a draw trying to see them before they see me.

It's just a different style of hunting. Like Ben said above, some can make the switch, some can't.

MoGreen

The whitetail hunting is phenomenal. The elk are there but - like others have stated - it is thick pretty much anywhere you go up there. I still think it is pretty good elk hunting but spotty. A lot of that country is what many call farm land elk. Small herds generally always together. A lot less bugling in my time living there. But fun if you can find them. A different world for sure.