PEAX Equipment

North Idaho Whitetail Rut

How bad is it? from what I hear, the EHD outbreak last year was devastating to deer populations in the Clearwater and parts of the Palouse. Personally I wasn't in the area prior to the outbreak but I do see decent amounts of deer while scouting; they aren't around every corner but they're out there. If what they say is true then this area must have been dang near over run with whitetails pre-EHD!!! lol

Sooo.... since the consensus seems to be that the area has been decimated, would I be wise to make a further drive up north sayyy toward Saint Maries for better deer numbers and hopefully better hunting or... is the hunting near the Palouse not actually that bad.

Did I make a bad decision by purchasing a second deer tag for $350? I kind of bought it impulsively because there was 20 left and I thought hey... I got almost 2 months of season, should be doable but now I am kind of second guessing my decision here. Between me and my Compadres I am semi-responsible for filling 5 deer tags now as I am the only one with ample amount of time to scout.

I couldn't be more pumped for the opener and am working on getting my priorities straight for the long season. ;)

1. Hunting
2. Work
3. School

Good Luck peoples!
You may just need higher altitude, not latitude. EHD is insect (midge) borne and flares when it is a hot dry summer and the deer are forced to congregate at water sources.
Yes there are fewer deer in the Palouse and Clearwater regions, but getting higher where there was less heat and more water helps.
Yes once upon a time it was hard to get home from work without hitting deer on the road.
Go scout and chase a mountain buck. I've seen some decent bucks this year. You are not going to find a 6 year old around every corner, but there are plenty.

If you want to get depressed about the current state of Idaho whitetail hunting, go to Tri-State and buy a copy of Ryan Hatfield's "Idaho's Greatest Whitetails".
After you pine over the current state of affairs, read the Trophies by County tables and plan your attack.

There are some serious whitetail fanatics around here and they can get testy if you bump "their" buck. Ask me how I know this! I say "Tough sh!t!, It's public"

You may just need higher altitude, not latitude. EHD is insect (midge) borne and flares when it is a hot dry summer and the deer are forced to congregate at water sources.
Yes there are fewer deer in the Palouse and Clearwater regions, but getting higher where there was less heat and more water helps.
Yes once upon a time it was hard to get home from work without hitting deer on the road.
Go scout and chase a mountain buck. I've seen some decent bucks this year. You are not going to find a 6 year old around every corner, but there are plenty.

If you want to get depressed about the current state of Idaho whitetail hunting, go to Tri-State and buy a copy of Ryan Hatfield's "Idaho's Greatest Whitetails".
After you pine over the current state of affairs, read the Trophies by County tables and plan your attack.

There are some serious whitetail fanatics around here and they can get testy if you bump "their" buck. Ask me how I know this! I say "Tough sh!t!, It's public"
Sounds like I was on track with my deer density perceptions...fair amount of deer just not what it was. Hopefully with the new motorized access rules from Potlatch Deltic it will be easier to escape the crowds. (we will see if anyone abides by the rules and if the rules are actually enforced)

With moderate expectations and above average effort, I think the season should be enjoyable. Plenty to learn along the way and hopefully an opportunity presents its self.

Just moved to Moscow for college and have some family with 8A whitetail tags for this year and we are starting to plan the hunt. I have been scouting the area and there seems to be plenty of deer and lots of rubs from previous years. My question is when does the peak of the rut usually happen in this region? Going to be about a 10 day hunt so I am thinking maybe NOV. 5-15. For those of you with experience in the area; what dates would you plan your hunt???

Anytime around thanksgiving seems to have the most daylight activity here in Washington.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back