North Dakota public land access

sdcan

I've never deer hunted west of the MS River, but I plan to hopefully bow hunt for whitetail in North Dakota this fall. I am asking for "knowledge" from someone who has hunted in ND before, as I thought I read somewhere that ND was considered a "section line" state as far as accessing public land goes. Does this mean that no public land is technically "land-locked", and it can be accessed along section lines across private property? If so, is there a certain feet in easement that is allotted along the section line that the hunter must stay within while walking to the public land across private land? I may be totally off on this, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

To answer your first question, most public land is technically accessible because of section line law. The land would be off limits if a section line was officially closed (which I believe is pretty rare) or the parcel of public land does not meet up with the edge of the section it is within. That being said some pieces of public land, particularly in the badlands, can be challenging to access due the the terrain you would have to traverse while staying within in the 66 foot section line.

Yes u can walk down a section line as long as you stay within 33 feet of either side of section line center, but with that said southwest ND can and is fairly rough in many areas and staying in the legal section line can be difficult. Personally I always look for the prairie trail, good road or a fenced section line to obtain access, sometimes its a bit out of the way but its better than a half hr ass chewing and explanation of a plan to a pissed of landowner or renter, and remember some lease roads are built on section lines but some are illegal for motor vehicle access, they are a privately built road, they will be well signed if of limits. Just remember when getting on foot and using a section line to access public or even a diff landowners property down the line, be prepared for an altercation, keep your cool allow the individual who's property you are walking on to get his point across and then explain your plan on a map and have a copy of the section line laws in your pocket. And also if possible try to find the landowner or renter ahead of time, sometimes its possible but I know when a deer is in the spotter its go time.

If you're planning on hunting the badlands I really never had problems accessing solid public land. Now, I'm not an expert hunter and never killed any monsters, but there's a lot of land available out there for you. The biggest thing will be drawing an archery tag if you're not a state resident.

What part of the state are you planning on hunting? The east part of ND is pretty easy to access. Some places you may need to walk into if its been raining the section line and prairie roads will be super muddy or washed out.

Actually planning to hunt just west of Killdeer in the Little Missouri River basin area.

Should be some nice deer in that area, never hunted out there but know people that have and the deer numbers are pretty high.

I grew up west of Killdeer.
Been 30 years since I hunted but grew up in the badlands.
Message me if you need assistance.
K

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back