North American Model of Wildlife Conservation

katqanna

In the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation - Point 6. Science Is the Proper Tool to Discharge Wildlife Policy.
Science as a base for informed decision making in wildlife management has become standard in Canada and the U.S. Nevertheless, funding has been largely inadequate to meet the research needs of management agencies, and a trend toward greater political influence in decision making threatens this principle

While not helping the immediate needs of protecting our elk and bison from the APHIS agenda of brucellosis eradication, this will help the near future needs. The last time the National Academy of Science was requested to do a scientific review of brucellosis in wildlife was 1997, the report was published in 1998. Science has advanced to where they now know that the bison dont transmit, due to different Brucella abortus genetics than the near identical elk and cattle Brucella abortus genotype.

A government group has to make the request, so I shopped for someone that wouldnt trash a petition and was referred to an agency. I spent 5 solid days and past midnight nights, putting together a short video that would help to explain the situation to an average person and created a petition at change.org for this request. We need the policy makers to abide by the ethical and responsible science of of our wildlife, not politics and special interests with deep pockets. This is a chance to make that happen.

Letter from Jackson Hole, WY ranchers, hunters and conservationists stating, " We ask you to understand that the real threat to our interests are the proposals originating from and/or driven by APHIS and the unfounded premise that brucellosis poses a real threat to man and beast."

I would like to preface that I set the petition up so that the NPS regional director receives the petitions directly, I receive nothing and do not even see the petitions. Second, you have an option in signing that you can put a check mark in the box, whether or not you want your signature visible on the petition page, for those of you who might be shy. ;)

Please take 7.5 minutes to watch the video if you are not aware of the issue, and sign, so that we can get the science to the wildlife management table with our elk and bison. BTW, the images in the video of the elk captures and blood testing are from Wyoming, where they had already embarked on a test and slaughter program. I was told on the phone that the Wyoming hunters knew about this, it was advertised in the paper and they didnt care. Who knows where the ad occurred and the hunter groups on the Governors Wyoming Brucellosis Coordination Team that are advising are the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association.

Please take a look and consider signing. Petition requesting NPS Intermountain Regional Director Sue Masica, call upon the National Academy of Science to conduct a review of Wildlife Brucellosis in the Greater Yellowstone Area. We need the politics and special interests out of our wildlife management and the science back in.

Last edited:
To bad that Mt FWP does not apply science to management of our elk/deer in general season deer/elk areas.

You keep saying that Eric. Your interpretation doesn't necessarily mean science based???

There is a good article in the March/April 2014 Bugle that hits on the topic very well. "Breaking the System" by Chris Madson.

The cliff note version is the slow politicization of State Game Agencies through changes in how the agencies are structured and appointments made.

Joe, my interpetation is "science based"....buck:doe, bull:cow, ram:ewe ratios should be based "biologically"....Not socially....having 2 fork horns to 100 does is not management.

Tonight we have a meeting in Hinsdale about the elk herd south of town...I wonder what FWP is going to be willing to do?

There is a good article in the March/April 2014 Bugle that hits on the topic very well. "Breaking the System" by Chris Madson.

The cliff note version is the slow politicization of State Game Agencies through changes in how the agencies are structured and appointments made.

that was an outstanding article, and everyone involved (on both sides) should be forced to read it.

F&S also had a nice article last year about the politics of deer management, if anyone wants to read up on the topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back