Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nonresident Elk

RyeGuy74

So I'm looking to plan an out west hunting trip. We'd both like to go Elk hunting but since we're not resident of and out west states we were just wondering what the best state to apply/buy for points/tags that would allow us both to get bull tags? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Can always buy OTC elk tags in Colorado and build points there. Just depends on how much you want to spend, if you can play the points game in more than one state or not.

Can always buy OTC elk tags in Colorado and build points there. Just depends on how much you want to spend, if you can play the points game in more than one state or not.

This is a very good answer, even though some may think it is vague. It does "depend." It depends on so many factors, it is hard to provide insight without making a lot of assumption.

I would suggest setting a budget of time/money and how far out you are looking. Then search the threads here where this topic has been hashed/rehashed/hashed again. Lots of information out there to make yourself more familiar, which will allow you to pose more precise questions, which increases the likelihood of more precise answers.

Good luck.

Before you start down the preference point path in any state I would become very familiar with the term "point creep" and not just in general terms but specifically where you would like to hunt.
A preference point has no inherent value and really gives you no "preference" but is just giving you a place in a long line, sometimes a very very very long line.

I would not sit at home with some long term plan to make a single trip in the future. i would figure out how to go elk hunting asap.

So I'm looking to plan an out west hunting trip. We'd both like to go Elk hunting but since we're not resident of and out west states we were just wondering what the best state to apply/buy for points/tags that would allow us both to get bull tags? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Lots of factors to look into. Colorado will always be at the top of the list for NR. The tags are up there in price (I think $800 or so) and there will normally be a fair amount of people up the mountain with you as well. It is possible to get some OTC tags or draw tags depending on your luck and your unit the first year.

Most of the other states it will be tough to get a bull tag the first year or first couple unless it is a unit with limited public land.

Here are the CO fees for non resident elk. Tons of opportunity. Scour the CPW website, look at the statistics for the GMU you want to consider, and get a handle on the Colorado Hunting Atlas (all on the website at the address below). Then you can also call and talk to CPW hunt planners.

Nonresident cow/fishing combo*$ 496.75
Nonresident bull or either sex/fishing combo*$ 661.75

Lots of factors to look into. Colorado will always be at the top of the list for NR. The tags are up there in price (I think $800 or so) and there will normally be a fair amount of people up the mountain with you as well. It is possible to get some OTC tags or draw tags depending on your luck and your unit the first year.

Most of the other states it will be tough to get a bull tag the first year or first couple unless it is a unit with limited public land.
Not necessarily the case in MT or ID, although MT is getting more difficult.

Randy has done some great podcasts and articles about "how to hunt every year" that breaks down how licenses work in the various states. However, demand for elk tags seemingly continually increases every year and what used to be an every year tag is no longer a sure thing so you'll need to do your own research on the current status in each state.

CO and ID you can get licenses over the counter, ID has a cap though so once a certain quantity are sold, they're gone.

MT has a quota and if you start now you should be able to draw a general tag in 2021 with 2 preference points but also possible to get a tag this year.

WY, I'd plan on waiting at least 5 years to get a general tag.

You can buy landowner tags for a pretty penny in most states in the southwest, they are generally harder to draw.

I used my elk points in OR, AZ, UT, and WY, and am again building points in all those states. You can draw an elk tag in AZ, UT, and WY with zero points on any given year; not good odds but it happens. The cost to apply in UT and WY is dirt cheap, slightly more in AZ but still less than $100/year if you do elk only. You can draw a WY special gen every other year and random odds in 2019 were over 35%. Add in otc hunts in CO or OR and you can hunt elk every year if you choose to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back