Caribou Gear

Non-trout Fishing near Choteau?

TRS_Montana

Hey all-

Was planning on camping up around Choteau, MT this weekend and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a reservoir to camp/fish at. More important for it to be a fun location for the fam (i.e. good hang out spots, potential swimming, hiking nearby) than great fishing, but if I could drown a worm or two while the fire fades, that would be a bonus. It's been too long since I've caught some bass or...anything other than trout.

I know you can get some good drum/bass/catfish on the Missouri up there, but was trying to shoot for a spot closer to the Front.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

I don't know the area that well, but I believe that Bynum Reservoir and Piskun Reservoir are both close to Choetau. Not sure about Bass, but if memory serves they both have Walleye and northerns. Those may be a couple spots to start looking at.

Bynum & Pishkun indeed. Bean lake has stocker rainbows in it, not sure about other species. Nilan & Willow Creek Res. should be explored as well.

Coming up for baseball?

Eureka reservoir you can fish from dock and a few spots around the lake. Pavment all the way. Its a nice campground close to town. No services/power.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...8d7384547a9f1!8m2!3d47.8766317!4d-112.3141292

The camping in town of Choteau isn't bad but gonna be busy with the tournament.

Bynum Reservoir would be way more rustic camping but still fun. Good fishing from shore this spring I hear. You can get there from the road that goes by Eureka but better road and less gravel from the town of Bynum.

There are several other lakes nearby the town of Augusta also. Most have fun camping spots and great views....rough roads to many of those.

Ticks are out in full force here so beware! Worst we have seen for a while! County health department had to send out a warning...spray and check those kiddos. (check the wife after they go to bed?)

Any questions or more details let me know....my back yard.

Thanks, guys! We'll give it a go at Pishkun this weekend and see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Going a short drive on past piskun to split rock maybe better fishing for perch and pike, but still can camp at piskun. May also look at lake francis in Valier for walleye, pike and large perch. fishing from shore would be better on the far east end of the lake. All these lakes are best from a boat.

Back