Non Resident South Dakota Muley

OHIOOutdoors2

Hey everyone I hate to be the new guy and request information from anyone that has anything to offer but I'm here to learn and expand my knowledge. That being said I'm planning a OTC mule deer hunt next early December during my winter break from college. Since I have that major time constraint I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on where to get started looking for places to go? I was on SD gov website looking at maps and it appears most of the open public land is in the NW. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!

If I were you coming to SD to hunt Archery mule deer in December I'd come before rifle season out there. I hunted Perkins County this fall and even during gun season a decent mule deer was hard to come by. So coming out in December you'd be hard pressed to shoot on with a bow after 16 days of gun hunting. Just my 2 cents

Just snowballing, but maybe Buffalo Gap Nat'l Grasslands could be worth a shot. Rifle season is rough on them out there, but maybe there is enough ground at Buffalo Gap that it won't be as bad.

I will try to look into it. It will be my first time spotting and stalking so it will be an interesting experience being that open. Maybe I need a trusty cow decoy.:)

There is a lot of public land in western SD. You don't even need to go to the far western end of the state. I assume you will be at SDSU or USD? Look around the west side of the Missouri River, that would be closer to school and something you could do for a weekend and sleep in a tent one night. That way you could get some hunting in before the rifle season starts. Go find some good vantage points that you can glass a lot of country from and get there in the dark and just glass for a couple hours in the early mornings. You will find some good areas and animals eventually. Now spot and stalking them with a bow I know nothing about and may start this year, but I scouted SD some mornings in August in preparation for the rifle season and saw a lot of critters. You will love SD!!

I'm in the very Northwest corner of South Dakota and can help you get started. Give me a shout

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back