Caribou Gear

Non-Resident Montana Spring Bear Hunt

superslamhunter

Hi, im new to the forum and have some questions about non resident Montana bear hunts. I live in Texas and recently watched the On Your Own Adventures Montana bear episode and it seems like you just go to Montana get a non resident bear license and go hunt. Ive done some research and found out you have to pass a bear identification test (which i already did) and buy a $350 non resident bear lisence. Since I live in Texas there is no way i can realy scout areas before i go hunting, so do most non residents just go out with a map and walk around and hope to see a bear or is there someone that would be able to guide you? Can anyone please give me some information on my questions and anything else that would help me?

THANKS

Bears Bears and more Bears

All most 50% fo Bears are killed in the northwest corner of montana and most of that is public land. Hunting is great anywhere west of kalispell to Libby but I can and will give you some areas to hunt alot of logging roads and clearcuts so bring some goog eyes will talk soon. Up the tompson river roar and around MacGregor lake is a good start. look at your map and I will keep in touch.:hump:

Hi, im new to the forum and have some questions about non resident Montana bear hunts. I live in Texas and recently watched the On Your Own Adventures Montana bear episode and it seems like you just go to Montana get a non resident bear license and go hunt. Ive done some research and found out you have to pass a bear identification test (which i already did) and buy a $350 non resident bear lisence. Since I live in Texas there is no way i can realy scout areas before i go hunting, so do most non residents just go out with a map and walk around and hope to see a bear or is there someone that would be able to guide you? Can anyone please give me some information on my questions and anything else that would help me?

THANKS

All most 50% fo Bears are killed in the northwest corner of montana and most of that is public land. Hunting is great anywhere west of kalispell to Libby but I can and will give you some areas to hunt alot of logging roads and clearcuts so bring some goog eyes will talk soon. Up the tompson river roar and around MacGregor lake is a good start. look at your map and I will keep in touch.:hump:

:) Thanks every bit of info helps

Hey Superslamhunter,
I am planing on going on a spring Black bear hunt this coming spring in Montana, and I have been trying to scout from my computer, it is the best way to scout, with out going to Montana.
What I have planed is to hunt region 1, I am planing to hunt the Thompson-Fisher CE, this area has produced good numbers the last few years. I have been doing as much scouting as can be done from a computer, but the best advice I can give is to get top-o maps just like I have done, they are a big help.
I don't know what your plans are, but I am looking for some one to go on a spring Black bear hunt with me, if you are interested let me know.
I plan on doing a 10 day hunt about the first week of May, from what I have read the spring season ends May 15th.
Let me know what you think, and maybe we can get together to do some planing, I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Hey Montanahunting,
If you don't mind, I would like to know your thought's as well on where to go.
Also what do you feel is a good size bear in the northwest of Montana, or any part of Montana for that matter ?

great spot

great area alot of open south facing slopes if you go get your self a forest service map and the Montana Atlas& Gazetteer By Delorme and that is all you need. I also will be in that neck of the woods maybe we will have a bear camp?

Hey Superslamhunter,
I am planing on going on a spring Black bear hunt this coming spring in Montana, and I have been trying to scout from my computer, it is the best way to scout, with out going to Montana.
What I have planed is to hunt region 1, I am planing to hunt the Thompson-Fisher CE, this area has produced good numbers the last few years. I have been doing as much scouting as can be done from a computer, but the best advice I can give is to get top-o maps just like I have done, they are a big help.
I don't know what your plans are, but I am looking for some one to go on a spring Black bear hunt with me, if you are interested let me know.
I plan on doing a 10 day hunt about the first week of May, from what I have read the spring season ends May 15th.
Let me know what you think, and maybe we can get together to do some planing, I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

size matters

we dont have the big eastern bears but the avarage big bear is 400 to 500 pounds all colors.

Hey Montanahunting,
If you don't mind, I would like to know your thought's as well on where to go.
Also what do you feel is a good size bear in the northwest of Montana, or any part of Montana for that matter ?

I basically have the same exact plans as you, but i am thinking of hunting BMU 105 in region 1, and from what I researched it is archery only and I have my heart set on harvesting my first bear with a bow. I will also be doing a 10 day hunt, ill be trying to split it up 5 days of archery and if im not sucsefull ill bring out the rifle for the remaning 5 days on some different land.I dont know if we could do the hunt because of my bow plans, but things change and i may just bring the rifle.Let me know what you think and put me 2nd in line because if my plans do change i would be interested.
Hey Superslamhunter,

I did some research on were your gonna be hunting and it looks pretty good, im not so sure i will be bringing my bow anymore because it seems like it would be nearly impossible. Let me do some more research and get back to you.

Superslamhunter,
I also love to bow hunt, but I am gun hunting, for just that reason, I think I will have a lot better chance on filling my tag. There is a lot of ground to hunt, but it is gonna be hard enough with a gun, but if you do want to do the gun hunt, then you, 1-pointer, and myself need to get our plans started, on when and where we all can get together.
I am gonna talk to 1-pointer, hopefuly today, and I will let you know, when and where we can all talk to get things rolling.
Let me know if you are a go or not, talk to ya soon.

Smokey76 I thought i was gonna be doing this hunt alone so i was looking for someone to go with but ive been talking to some family members and it looks like ill be doing the hunt with them. I apreciate the invite but we already made some plans. Best of luck to you and 1-pointer. Hope to see some trophy pics at the end of may.
Superslamhunter,
I also love to bow hunt, but I am gun hunting, for just that reason, I think I will have a lot better chance on filling my tag. There is a lot of ground to hunt, but it is gonna be hard enough with a gun, but if you do want to do the gun hunt, then you, 1-pointer, and myself need to get our plans started, on when and where we all can get together.
I am gonna talk to 1-pointer, hopefuly today, and I will let you know, when and where we can all talk to get things rolling.
Let me know if you are a go or not, talk to ya soon.

Yes, I plan to take a lot of pics, and best of luck to you this spring.
Who knows we may run into each other out there, good luck!!

Thompson river state forest

Hey montanahunting,
I got a montana atlas and was wondering what part of the Thompson River state forest should i hunt in. It looks like the southern area is more open plains and the northern are near happys inn and mcgregor lake has more higher elevations.

I'd like to go bear hunting, Northwest Montana 2017 (spring) Who can I contact on how to set this up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back