Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

No cotton, but…

EastTNHunter

I have gotten away from cotton for all of my hunting clothing except for my outer pants. Where I live I have to have pants that will hold up to brush and thorns, so military BDUs or older Duluth firehose pants are my go to. I don’t hunt in the backcountry, but I’ve always heard that “cotton kills,” and am trying to be mindful of my trip to WY next year for a lowland/high desert backcountry (a few miles in, backpack camping) mule deer hunt. Is my exception for pants normal? I’ve not found affordable, durable synthetic pants that can hold up to brush like the two mentioned above

The other problem with synthetic pants are embers from the campfire can put tiny holes in them quickly.
I like Filson tin chaps for an outer layer when pheasant hunting...they hold up to briars and seeds and at the end of the
day the fold up into a small package and are permanently stored in the pickup truck.
For around the campfire, Carhartts work well when embers are a possibility.
CampFire.JPG

I wear the wrangler outdoor pants. Been through plenty of thorns and greenbrier here in NC as well as cold and snow in WY. No complaints. The fabric will get picked by the briers and they obviously don't keep you from feeling the thorns, but they're very comfortable.

i've started hunting Kuhl work pants for the past 3 years or so, the Rydr and Free Rydr. primarily for colder weather hunting. that's some pretty dang durable synthetic material.

Cotton soaks up water and holds it, so from a cold weather survival standpoint it is not ideal because it will keep you wet. Base layers are what matters most though, unless you forsee a lot of cold wet weather and don't have rain pants should be fine, I prefer cotton in warm weather.

I wear the wrangler outdoor pants. Been through plenty of thorns and greenbrier here in NC as well as cold and snow in WY. No complaints. The fabric will get picked by the briers and they obviously don't keep you from feeling the thorns, but they're very comfortable.
Wrangler synthethic are my go-to for hiking. I like that they are quick drying and very lightweight in the summer. I usually wear them pheasant hunting with Filson Tin Chaps to prevent weed seeds/briars sticking to the pants.
For winter hiking, I like their polarfleeced lined pants. Inexpensive, yet they last for years if properly cared for.

Been wearing skre pants for last few years and now will try the Wrangler syns. A buddy had them on the other day, the Sheriff . Says they are great and take some abuse.

I do know folks who almost died wearing cotton jeans clothes in bad weather. I was one when I was 12. I helped several later in life as an EMT-II Park Ranger.

I’ve purchased some of the Wrangler syn pants and really like them, but they definitely don’t help to buck brush or thorns. They are what I’m leaning towards wearing on my next western hunt. I also bought some cheaper ones from Sams that are great for hiking, but even lighter weight and thinner
Wrangler synthethic are my go-to for hiking. I like that they are quick drying and very lightweight in the summer. I usually wear them pheasant hunting with Filson Tin Chaps to prevent weed seeds/briars sticking to the pants.
For winter hiking, I like their polarfleeced lined pants. Inexpensive, yet they last for years if properly cared for.
Been wearing skre pants for last few years and now will try the Wrangler syns. A buddy had them on the other day, the Sheriff . Says they are great and take some abuse.

I do know folks who almost died wearing cotton jeans clothes in bad weather. I was one when I was 12. I helped several later in life as an EMT-II Park Ranger.

I’ve purchased some of the Wrangler syn pants and really like them, but they definitely don’t help to buck brush or thorns. They are what I’m leaning towards wearing on my next western hunt. I also bought some cheaper ones from Sams that are great for hiking, but even lighter weight and thinner
I wore Filsons bird hunting and where stickers and briars are the norm. None here really.
Seen Sitkas get ripped from pj's. and not much will stop a cacti thorn.

Your leg will stop a cacti thorn eventually...seen it, not pretty.
I had a palm frond thorn stuck in my shinbone when I was a kid running around trying to catch squabs when they trimmed the trees, in jeans.
It popped out a month or so later. Old school medicine.

I wore Filsons bird hunting and where stickers and briars are the norm. None here really.
Seen Sitkas get ripped from pj's. and not much will stop a cacti thorn.
No barbed wire or briars up here in Alaska.
Amazing how quickly my lab learned about both when we hunt down south.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back