Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NM Unit 17 1st Archery Need Guidance

tgoody14

After years of unsuccessful draws on the New Mexico Draw Hunts, I finally hit the Jackpot!!! I'm beyond stoked, still in shock, and can't wait to get out there.
A good friend and I put in together for all the same hunts and had a gentlemen's agreement that if either one of us got a tag we would both still go and experience this hunt of a lifetime together.

It was our 3rd choice, Unit 17 Sept 1-14! That's the first day of season so they may not be getting into rut yet but it will still be a great adventure. I've hunted predators in other units of NM, but have never been to 17. We don't know much about that Unit but hear it's a tough hunt if you like to work hard, which we do!!!

We are looking to our fellow hunters for help, tips, guidance, and suggestions. We are taking a week off from work and plan on doing whatever it takes to make this happen. If any of you guys can share some knowledge of the area or just your experiences in general that would be great. We are going to need all the help we can get. I'm sure we will be taking about 4 GoPros and a Sony Handycam to record the adventure.

We are both in our early 30s and are very active so throwing on a pack and humping it all day is the plan for now. I'll prolly make a wknd trip or two over there beforehand to scout the area and just see what exactly we are getting into, terrain wise....

So anything you guys can suggest for us would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time, I'll continue to lurk on the forum haha already learned lots from the search button ;)

Thanks,
Taylor

I had a cow elk hunt down in unit 17 a few years ago. I hunted down around San Juan Peak at the suggestion of a co-worker. I didn't fill my tag but saw elk. I didn't make it out every day because I was sick.

Getting sick would be aweful, which reminds me. I better start back on my multivitamins.

Is Unit 17 pretty accessible by vehicle? We by no means are road hunters, but would like to try dinging some spots away from the road hunters...

It's fairly accessible. The two days I got out during my hunt, I stayed around San Juan Peak and near the roads. It was only my 2nd time elk hunting and I was solo.

The unit is a triangle and is bounded on the north and east by major roadways. I-25 on the east and US-60 on the north. The western edge is a combination of smaller state highways and creek bed. The unit contains a couple of large chunks of NF along with BLM, state and a good bit of private land. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this link. It's a hi-res map showing major roads, land boundaries, and very basic topography for the unit put out by the NMDGF. San Juan peak where I hunted is around the junction of I-25 and NM-107.

buyobuyo, I'm going to shoot you a PM about San Juan peak - I drew 17 again and am curious about hunting the east side of the San Mateos this time.

It's fairly accessible. The two days I got out during my hunt, I stayed around San Juan Peak and near the roads. It was only my 2nd time elk hunting and I was solo.

The unit is a triangle and is bounded on the north and east by major roadways. I-25 on the east and US-60 on the north. The western edge is a combination of smaller state highways and creek bed. The unit contains a couple of large chunks of NF along with BLM, state and a good bit of private land. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this link. It's a hi-res map showing major roads, land boundaries, and very basic topography for the unit put out by the NMDGF. San Juan peak where I hunted is around the junction of I-25 and NM-107.

Thanks for the link. Good info there! Much appreciated

Took a 4 day wknd to scout last weekend. Only got 2 days in before the mountain tore up my ranger tires and left me stranded on the mountain... All is good, got back home safe and now trying to make a plan. I found some waterholes with good sign and old rubs nearby. Also saw cows both days so I'm just hoping they are still there come Sept 1st and the Bulls are nearby...

What early season strategies have you guys found most beneficial!? Sit the waterholes, glass, hike the trails, or a little bit of everything!?

Thanks in advance

I've never hunted the unit this early but those I know who do sit on water if it has been dry. I wouldn't call this summer dry, but it hasn't been soaking wet, either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back