Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NM non-resident application question....

lifesupport4u

It looks like NM changed their hunt codes for next year. My strategy is this... I apply for top quality hunts and if I don't draw then no sweat and I hunt in my home state. I can't be going to NM every year so I figure if I draw it will be a high quality hunt.

That said... NM gives 6% of their tags to non-residents without an outfitter.... and here comes my question:

How does this 6% rule work when their are 10 licenses? Do they give 1 or 0 licenses to non-residents? I have never drawn 0.6 of a license... ;)

My recollection is they round up in that case, so with the 10 tag quota there will be 1 unguided non-resident tag. There are some hunts with a 5 tag quota so don't apply for those, but 10 is doable.

My recollection is they round up in that case, so with the 10 tag quota there will be 1 unguided non-resident tag. There are some hunts with a 5 tag quota so don't apply for those, but 10 is doable.

That's my understanding as well just stay away from any that have less then 10 tags. In all honesty the unguided non resident will be lucky to draw 1 antelope rifle tag in a lifetime even if you put in for the best odds (which will still be under %5). If you are willing to archery hunt you should be able to pull a tag in a few years.

TIn all honesty the unguided non resident will be lucky to draw 1 antelope rifle tag in a lifetime even if you put in for the best odds (which will still be under %5). If you are willing to archery hunt you should be able to pull a tag in a few years.

And the resident odds really aren't much better, most rifle and muzzy hunts were in the 5% range or less, with archery being considerably better. With the big changes this year it will be hard to predict what your odds will be, but a safe bet they will be crappy.

And the resident odds really aren't much better, most rifle and muzzy hunts were in the 5% range or less, with archery being considerably better. With the big changes this year it will be hard to predict what your odds will be, but a safe bet they will be crappy.

I know it's a sad deal one unit I apply for antelope in the odds are 4% NR 8% R and 25% outfitter pool. As a non resident that makes me angry I can only imagine how abused and used it must make the non guided resident feel. I'm also interested in seeing how the new changes effect things. You would think switching the license to non refundable would drop a few guys out but sense more apply every year who knows how it'll go. Personally don't think the odds will get any better be lucky if the stay the same.

I was under the impression that the 6% was a total quota on tags sold, not for each individual draw code. I could be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere.

I was under the impression that the 6% was a total quota on tags sold, not for each individual draw code. I could be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere.

No, it's each draw code. Take a look at the detailed draw stats on their website.

When looking through the draw stats, with 10 tags available, NRs were given 1 tag in most hunt codes. When 5 tags were available, none were issued. If a guy was to apply with a friend, you better make sure you apply in units that have enough tags for both of you.

I’m pretty sure that if 6% of the tags is less than one tag, then it ends up being sort of a wildcard. With 10 tags, the outfitters are guaranteed 1, the res, 8, and the tenth tag becomes sort of a wild card between the res and non-res. The outfitter quota is full, but neither the res or non-res is full.(.4 tags remaining for res and .6 for non-res) if a non-res gets drawn before the ten tags are gone, they will get one. If a ninth res gets drawn before the non-res, then the non-res will not draw for that hunt. Because there are so many non-residents applying for 6% compared to the number of residents applying for 84%, a non-res will usually drawn in the top ten and get a tag, but it’s not guaranteed. If ten non-residents applies for a hint with ten total tags, the odds are not 10%(ten apps/one tag) they are 6%.(10 apps for a 60% chance that there will be a tag)

Last edited:
No, it's each draw code. Take a look at the detailed draw stats on their website.

When looking through the draw stats, with 10 tags available, NRs were given 1 tag in most hunt codes. When 5 tags were available, none were issued. If a guy was to apply with a friend, you better make sure you apply in units that have enough tags for both of you.

Fair enough.

keep in mind that they don't up issue group apps like WY. So if you draw with a group app of 3 and thee are only two tags...your SOL

NMDGF posts their draw results on the website so you can figure out precisely how many NR tags correspond to each hunt. I wish we had a 90-10 split and berid the cancer of the outfitter pool. But, after all, it is New Mexican style corruption at its finest.

I also just read that there is a bill that could raise the rates of tags substantially for NR. I love voting money out of other peoples pockets. Thanks for paying for our wildlife management.

It's time the Western states take a long hard look at declining hunter participation numbers and increasing tag fees...perhaps the correlation does imply causation. Why would a poor kid in Texas ever care to learn how to hunt? He's got no where to do it.

NMDGF posts their draw results on the website so you can figure out precisely how many NR tags correspond to each hunt. I wish we had a 90-10 split and berid the cancer of the outfitter pool. But, after all, it is New Mexican style corruption at its finest.

I also just read that there is a bill that could raise the rates of tags substantially for NR. I love voting money out of other peoples pockets. Thanks for paying for our wildlife management.

It's time the Western states take a long hard look at declining hunter participation numbers and increasing tag fees...perhaps the correlation does imply causation. Why would a poor kid in Texas ever care to learn how to hunt? He's got no where to do it.

You know, I’m inclined to agree. NM has done all it can to make it difficult on NRs. Tag allocation percentages stink. No cow elk tags. No more cow youth encouragement tags. Now a mandatory hunting license for the privilege of applying in draws with horrible odds. I know I’m out. Tag price increases would be tough to swallow, I would think, for even the least price-conscious NR hunter. Too many other states offer way more opportunity with longer seasons.

Last edited:
You know, I’m inclined to agree. NM has done all it can to make it difficult on NRs. Tag allocation percentages stink. No cow elk tags. No more cow youth encouragement tags. Now a mandatory hunting license for the privilege of applying in draws with horrible odds. I know I’m out. Tag price increases would be tough to swallow, I would think, for even the least price-conscious NR hunter. Too many other states offer way more opportunity with longer seasons.

I would love to know what proportion of nonresident applicants and private tag purchasers are from Texas. I can't help but feel New Mexico views Texans as a "cash cow". The change in youth encouragement tags still makes my blood boil. Including nonresident youth was not taking tags from residents as many of those tags were still available in October.

Agree. This isnt limited to the west either. Nothing is hurting hunting recruitment more then our over montization of wildlife which has the direct effect of limiting acess.
I dont believe we can address one without the other

I'm really interested to see if the new mandatory license purchase will increase draw odds. But it may also change the strategy people use to apply. For example, you could shoot for the moon with your first choice in years past because the fee was basically like a super tag lottery other states have. Now that we'll have more skin in the game I wonder if people will be more cautious about putting a hard to draw unit as first choice but rather choose a higher odds unit, thereby paradoxically decreasing the odds in those easier to draw units and increasing the odds in the harder to draw units? Did they ran some sort of simulation before making these changes?

My son and I are staying on the sidelines this year in NM due to the increased cost/low draw chance.

The change in youth encouragement tags still makes my blood boil. Including nonresident youth was not taking tags from residents as many of those tags were still available in October.

Agreed. The residents already had a two week head start in buying those tags since NRs had to wait 14 days after the resident purchase date. Those residents who really wanted one of those certainly had their chance to buy them. I dunno. NM can do what they want, of course, but I just don’t see it as much of a value for the nonresident hunter. Too many other states offer much more.

Yeah the license fee sucks. For that kind of money you can apply in Wyoming, still have a chance to draw, AND build a point to help you the next year if you don't draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back