NM Mule Deer Hunt

2rocky

I'm reluctantly starting this thread as a way to keep myself accountable as I prepare to hit the road, solo for my Mule Deer Hunt in Northern New Mexico. It really is the diametric opposite of the pheasant hunt in North Dakota I did 2weeks ago with my father, uncle, cousin and 3 other friends.

I'm going to a new area I've never been to before, with only some basic understanding of the unit from On-X and internet exchanges with people who have hunted it before. I'm planning to dedicate 3 days of scouting to determine where the deer and other hunters are. I'm planning on two days on the road to get there and I will pack my bags, and camping gear this weekend to pull out on Tuesday.

My last solo hunt for big game was antelope in Northern Nevada. I'm seeing some similarities between the two hunts as I'm planning to be truck camping with my 12x12 tent and stove. However this is one of the latest season hunts I've ever done and at pretty high elevation. Finding a camping spot that will allow me to access my 3 areas of the unit may prove to be a challenge.

I'm considering bringing our lab, Bogey for company. I'd love to hear from other folks who bring a dog big game hunting handle having the dog along. I've got 3 days to decide.

Last edited:
Good luck on your hunt! I've only taken my dog (Australian shepherd) on one big game hunt and it was one of the funnest hunts having her there. We didn't get our deer so I'm not sure how she would have done with shooting but she was a blast to hunt with. She is very obedient and never leaves my side so I didn't have to worry about her running off.

Can't help with the hunting with the dog part but the rest of your story is very similar to mine. I hunted pheasant 2 weeks ago in South Dakota with a large group. I leave Nov. 12 for a late season mule deer hunt in NW New Mexico. Dont have a dog so that's not an option . Will take 2 days to drive as well and camping out as well in a wall tent. Hope you have a great hunt.

Good luck. Take our dog to hunting camp a lot, unless it’s super cold. She usually rides with to wherever we’re hunting, stays in the truck until extraction time. If I was doing a solo multi day trip, I would take her with just for company at camp.

It really depends on the dog. Our dog Hank is 12 years old and very well trained, so he's easy to bring along. I once shot a cow elk with my bow at 8 yards solo while he was bedded a few feet from me. However, there are usually two of us so whoever is not shooting handles the leash as we're moving around. Still, if your dog is well behaved there should be no problem on a rifle hunt. Game Wardens may or may not raise an eyebrow.

TLDR- 2 days scouting 5 days hunting. 105 live deer sightings, NO Legal bucks. The 2020 curse continues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back