NM Hunter Chasing Game Cheating Time

silasd

Put in for my first elk tag in 2010 and then Uncle Sam sent me to Iraq. I was a new hunter and didn't know I could call the state and suspend it. Been trying to draw ever since. This year I put in all over the state of NM in the hopes of drawing anything. I live in a beautiful place and I don't mind burning shoe leather to see what's in it. I'm pushing 60 but I refuse to acknowledge time. No doubt life will tell me when it's over. I appreciate all the info and advice folks share on this forum. I've learned an awful lot from you folks, so thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome! NM is a beautiful place to hunt. I've been heading there from TX since 2013 when someone else introduced me. Before that I thought it was all flat ground and brown grass. I was at Ft Bliss and all I knew of NM was what I saw from there, not the NM I know now.

Welcome! NM is a beautiful place to hunt. I've been heading there from TX since 2013 when someone else introduced me. Before that I thought it was all flat ground and brown grass. I was at Ft Bliss and all I knew of NM was what I saw from there, not the NM I know now.
It is a beautiful state indeed. What units have you hunted? I've been in 49 and 52.

Welcome from SW NM. Retired here 12yrs ago after many trips. Beautiful. Tougher to draw these days.

Welcome. I'm ahead of you a couple of years, and you are in a tie with my wife for your calendar count. We are doing our best to hunt, fish, camp, explore NM as much as we can with what we have left. We all get to live in a stunningly beautiful state, with such varied terrain and climates.

Welcome. I'm ahead of you a couple of years, and you are in a tie with my wife for your calendar count. We are doing our best to hunt, fish, camp, explore NM as much as we can with what we have left. We all get to live in a stunningly beautiful state, with such varied terrain and climates.
It's funny. Never hunted in my life before I moved here. My first year here I said this is such a beautiful place why am I not out in it hunting and fishing? And so I did.

Put in for my first elk tag in 2010 and then Uncle Sam sent me to Iraq. I was a new hunter and didn't know I could call the state and suspend it. Been trying to draw ever since. This year I put in all over the state of NM in the hopes of drawing anything. I live in a beautiful place and I don't mind burning shoe leather to see what's in it. I'm pushing 60 but I refuse to acknowledge time. No doubt life will tell me when it's over. I appreciate all the info and advice folks share on this forum. I've learned an awful lot from you folks, so thanks.
Thank you for your service, and I hope you get your dream tag!

Back