Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

NM GMU 16E 2nd Archery

talisota

Folks,

I'm a newbie to the site. Avid bowhunter, married, 6 kids, and can no longer afford the guided hunts. Too many sets of braces. I know I have the skills and most of the gear to get this done on my own.

I bowhunted antelope in WY south of Gillette on my own, just paid a ranch owner 100 bucks to trespass. We decoyed them in that was fun. Bought an elk tag for NM in Unit 51 and arrowed the 1st elk that walked by, a spike. Yeah, laugh, I had never taken an elk with my bow so I was taking one. It took whole day and a half. Hunted elk in NM with a rifle just off the Jicarilla in November. We drove the elk like whitetail hunting in SE Minnesota. Shot a nice 5 X 5 near Largo Canyon. it was mostly a glorified road hunt, not to my liking. Hunted the Adobe Ranch in Unit 16C with Jack Diamond. He's good man.
Pulled a Unit 2B Mule tag about 5 years ago for the 2nd Nov. season. Great hunt, lots of deer, shot a 150's 4 X 4 in the last 5 minutes of the last day of the hunt and seen 1 giant non-typical that was spooked by gas field worker driving his truck down the road a dusk.

Now I find myself with this pretty good tag and was hoping to team up with another fella or two that my have the same tag to share a fire. I've never been in the unit and the 24 hr drive makes it impractical to scout before season. Any help you folks may wish to offer up, I'm all ears. Otherwise I may eat the tag.:eek:

Hope to see ya on the trail.

It's a great tag and there's great elk in there. Never hunted it for elk but scouted for others and know some ranchers off the Plains.
Access is hardest . ....do not try and drive in or out if it's muddy!
Just have to wait it out sometimes here in NM. An hour sometimes will save you oh so much grief...........

Access

hank4elk,

Thanks for the input. Any of those ranchers you know allow access to the public ground from the ranch for a small fee?

I'll ask one that has a place not far from Pelona Mtn.I was going to ask her about access for antelope on her 13 spread for a guy I know that has a tag for that hunt anyway......

You're a good man hank4elk. Don't know yet if it makes sense to do that or not yet, but the more options the better. I was thinking of access further east and north in the unit.

Know any folks over that way, yonder?

You're a good man hank4elk. Don't know yet if it makes sense to do that or not yet, but the more options the better. I was thinking of access further east and north in the unit.

Know any folks over that way, yonder?

She's a 4th gen. Catron rancher,and probably the best cowboy in the area...lol.
I know she knows every foot of this area and every rancher,and the back way into most places.
I have a tag for deer and might poke around some there too:cool:....

No help on the unit but I hope to draw there some day to explore it with a purpose. PM me if you need a place to crash/shower in Socorro on your way down or back home.

nuevo_eph

Thanks for invite. PM me your cell number and maybe I'll just stop to say "Howdy" or hopefully show off a set of antlers and grill up some steaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back