NM Encouragement Hunts

Rzrbk

Do any of you NM hunters have experience with the on-line only Encouragement Hunts? It's only NM residents and only youth hunters can apply the first 14 days and only if the were unsuccessful in the draw. Have any of you had success getting an Encouragement Elk Hunt youth tag for son or daughter? Any sense of the draw odds? Thanks for any insights.

Encouragement Elk Hunts: Online Purchase Only Only New Mexico residents are eligible. Only youth hunters are eligible during the first 14 days of the online sale. The resident youth hunter must have applied for at least one draw hunt for bighorn sheep, Barbary sheep, deer, elk, ibex, oryx or pronghorn but must not have drawn any hunt.

Tags for a few hunt codes/units get snapped up in minutes, others are available for months.

I'm just thinking over different strategies for the upcoming draw. The encouragement hunt backup would work best for youth only putting in for elk. My daughter will put in for multiple species and is likely to get drawn for something. Elk is the top priority though, so I'll probably put her in for 3'rd choice on a high draw odd antlerless unit and not let encouragement hunt options influence my choices. It's a good backup in case of a total bust in the draw.

Thanks for the input!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back