NM Draw Apps Open 22

Hey i have a question for those of you who have applied past few years.
How long after results are released do you typically see Refund if not drawn?
If someone can get specific with dates from last year or two that would be much appreciated. Thank you

If someone can get specific with dates from last year or two that would be much appreciated. Thank you
Just get drawn and you won't have to worry about it. LOL

Sorry, had to. I can't remember exactly off the top, it's not long though. I will ask my brother as he put in for stuff last year and maybe he can remember the exact time frame.

Agree…I could completely support 85/15. Its hard to personally support a straight 90/10 knowing that it will tank draw odds even further. Id like to see waiting periods put in place in NM as well.
Waiting periods would be sublime, even short ones like 2 or 3 years. But the landowner permit buyers would want a carve out.

Whoa whoa whoa. I was thinking we needed to go 95/5!

The more I read about how other states run their draws, I'm thankful to live here...
On elk tags it’s already pretty close to that, 88.8% went to residents and 4.23% to NR in 2021.
The rest were outfitter welfare, no data on how they were split.

On elk tags it’s already pretty close to that, 88.8% went to residents and 4.23% to NR in 2021.
I'd like to see pronghorn numbers, since there are a ton of units that have quotas that are too small to have a NR allotment at all. This hurts the outfitter pool too though, and I don't think there are a ton of outfitters running pronghorn hunts in the first place.

One would have to assume almost all of the outfitter pool goes to NRs. Residents generally have better draw odds in the resident pool so it wouldn’t make sense to enter the guided draw.

I'd like to see pronghorn numbers, since there are a ton of units that have quotas that are too small to have a NR allotment at all. This hurts the outfitter pool too though, and I don't think there are a ton of outfitters running pronghorn hunts in the first place.
Antelope totals broke down to: 2423 tags, NR drew 102.
Resident 88.03%
NR 4.21
Outfitter 7.47
Pretty tough when most units have 1 NR tag.

One would have to assume almost all of the outfitter pool goes to NRs. Residents generally have better draw odds in the resident pool so it wouldn’t make sense to enter the guided draw.
That makes sense but it’s still just an assumption, it would be nice to see the split.

It seems to vary a little from person to person and year to year. Generally 2-4 weeks, usually closer to 3 weeks.

I got my data from the NMG&F full report to the legislature. One of the few in years.
20% hole in staff. Yikes!

I could suggest all kinds of stuff that would get me banned on here & in general.
To raise the needed funds to run the dept. effectively.
Like a backpack tax or an Audobon tax...

The last thing I want to see is NMG&F funds linked to the general fund. That will not fly by me. There is way too much politics involved already.
My only hope is they don't ruin the elk hunting, like they have deer,......... and the list could go on.
Maybe sheep, cause it has grown in numbers of animals.
Any chance you have a link to that report? Something doesn’t seem right.

Any chance you have a link to that report? Something doesn’t seem right.
Having a old fart link moment...lol
New Mexico Legislative Finance Commitee
Report #20-04 Program Evaluation Unit- Performance of Dept of Game & Fish. Oct 28 2020

It seems to vary a little from person to person and year to year. Generally 2-4 weeks, usually closer to 3 weeks.
thanks, i was trying to figure out if what Regs say would hold true or not about being given w/in 10 days

From the Reg book:
Draw Refunds
Draw license fee refunds for unsuccessful applicants will be processed shortly after draw results are
released in April. Applications paid by credit card will be refunded directly to the credit card used
for the transaction within 10 business days. Applications paid by cash will be refunded by check by
the end of May. Game-hunting license and stamp purchases will not be refunded.

one more NM question for those more experienced. i've read JAVELINA page few times over and want to make sure i understood it correctly:
Q: seems to be that DRAW tag is what one would want? which is Units 19,23-27?
Units 19, 23–27 Jan. 1–31, '23 JAV–2–101 300 ES
Units 19, 23–27 Feb. 1–Mar. 1, '23 JAV–1–102 1000 ES
seems like FEB is higher odds of drawing.
Q: Those who have hunted this tag, how is it? Are success rates fairly good? is there huge difference between those two tags ?

Q: if unsuccessful one can then try to get OTC tag July 1st, correct?
-seems like Jan16-Mar31, 2023 presents a much longer season and more tags, or is Jan1 start date that much better?
Q: and what are Javelina populations like all over the state?
-I've only been to GILA wilderness on a fishing/camping trip and happen to see a small group run through the campground. are the abundant all over?
Statewide (excluding Units 19, 23–28) Jan. 16–Mar. 31, '23 JAV–1–104 1000 ES
Statewide (excluding Units 19, 23–28) Jan. 1–31, '23 JAV–2–103 300 ES

and if understood correctly, if one has OTC tag, and is fortunate enough to have Elk tag, then that JAV-1-104 or JAV-2-103 can be used during Big Game season in whichever unit Elk/Deer tag is in during same season dates?

am i missing anything?
is it worth trying to draw JAV-1-102 or JAV-2-101 or try to go for OTC?

thanks

thanks, i was trying to figure out if what Regs say would hold true or not about being given w/in 10 days

From the Reg book:
Draw Refunds
Draw license fee refunds for unsuccessful applicants will be processed shortly after draw results are
released in April. Applications paid by credit card will be refunded directly to the credit card used
for the transaction within 10 business days. Applications paid by cash will be refunded by check by
the end of May. Game-hunting license and stamp purchases will not be refunded.
Maybe it has been closer to two weeks then. I don’t feel like it’s consistently been ten business days, but I used to do it with a debit card, so my bank could be part of the delay.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back