Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NM Deer Hunt Unit 51a

Joshgs

I've hunted unit 51a for Elk, but not deer. Was lucky enough to draw a tag for any weapon in late October. During this time of year is better to bow or rifle hunt for deer?

Unless you specifically want to challenge yourself, go rifle. No reason to head to the woods with a bow when all your competition will be using high powered rifles. Also, if the idiots are as thick in 51a as they are in 32 down by me, there's no way I would want to be sneaking after a deer the way people shoot without knowing their target.

Unless you specifically want to challenge yourself, go rifle. No reason to head to the woods with a bow when all your competition will be using high powered rifles. Also, if the idiots are as thick in 51a as they are in 32 down by me, there's no way I would want to be sneaking after a deer the way people shoot without knowing their target.

Off the top of my head 32 has the most deer tags of any unit.

As a bowhunter who has been on about a half dozen hunts in this unit (although not always behind the trigger), i'd say pack the rifle. Do you know the unit well? I can suggest a couple of places i've consistently seen shooter deer if you're not already set on a location.

I don't understand your question. Is it better to bow or rifle hunt during a certain time of year?

I don't think one is "better" than the other...both are legal in your hunt. I would not use a bow personally. Rifle deer hunts are harder to draw than archery and rifles are undoubtedly more lethal with longer range. But if you prefer to hunt with a bow (which is rewarding), by all means do it.

As a bowhunter who has been on about a half dozen hunts in this unit (although not always behind the trigger), i'd say pack the rifle. Do you know the unit well? I can suggest a couple of places i've consistently seen shooter deer if you're not already set on a location.

I had an opportunity to Elk hunt this unit a few years back, but any suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks

I'd be using a rifle.
The unit has some deer, but they are hit pretty hard in that unit by cats and crooks (poachers).
Depending on which part of the unit you plan on hunting just get off the road a little and you'll cut down on a good portion of the hunters.
Lots of road hunters and ATV hunters. You'll likely see most of your pressure on the weekends and it'll be much less hectic on the week days.

I'd just have realistic expectations going into the hunt too. I've hunted 51 5 times for elk. It's not a unit I'd be holding out for a monster in.

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to Elk hunt this unit a few years back, but any suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks
Joshgs I’m looking for elk units to apply for in the 2021 draw and this is one I’m looking at. I saw that you have hunted it in the past so with your experience would 51a be a good one to put in?

Do you have onxmaps? If you do i'll send you some notes and waypoints.
I have been scouting this unit. I drew a rifle tag. Country is thick and though there are many roads there is a lot of area to cover. I am not looking for honey holes but if you had any general areas you have seen shooter bucks in, I would be interested to hear about them and see if I am on the right track. Thanks!
I do use onxmaps, any appreciate any notes and waypoints you are willing to share.
How did your season go in 51a?

Hey Austin. Not sure who you were replying to in that thread, but i'd be happy to share some areas with you. I know 51 pretty well. When is your hunt? PM me.

-matthew

I should have never opened this thread, can't stand how many rifle tags are in 32🤮 i watched trophy quality take a total crap on the public in my area and the amount of trespassers...

Hey Austin. Not sure who you were replying to in that thread, but i'd be happy to share some areas with you. I know 51 pretty well. When is your hunt? PM me.

-matthew
Hunt starts tomorrow 10/30. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to PM on here?.. :confused:. Got a ton of points on OnX from my limited scouting I have been able to do, seen some deer. Have found some very "deery" areas with a lot of fresh sign but incredibly hard to spot them in some of this country. The old man has a tag with me, wish us luck!! PM me?

Hunt starts tomorrow 10/30. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to PM on here?.. :confused:. Got a ton of points on OnX from my limited scouting I have been able to do, seen some deer. Have found some very "deery" areas with a lot of fresh sign but incredibly hard to spot them in some of this country. The old man has a tag with me, wish us luck!! PM me?

Tried to PM you but the website wouldn't let me, not sure why. Could be you don't have enough posts to PM? If you can get it working i'll give you my number and we can talk.

Tried to PM you but the website wouldn't let me, not sure why. Could be you don't have enough posts to PM? If you can get it working i'll give you my number and we can talk.
You can also email me. Use my screenname and add @gmail.com to the end. I'd love to help you brother, but it seems we're locked out for the time being. I'll also give you a call if you care to post your phone number here, but personally i don't care to share mine outside of a PM. Good luck, and let me know. If you're completely lost, hunt the Canada del bano area just SE of Red Hill and almost due south of Canjillon mountain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back