NM Bear hunt

bf1002

So I didn't get drawn for anything this year, but I still want to get out and hunt this fall out west. I've always wanted to do a bear hunt and this seems like the time to do it. I've hunted NM before so I am familiar with the terrain. Just looking for some advice on how to e-scout or how best to proceed. I have tried google, but all it seems to do is pull up outfitters. I've read everything on NMDGF's website pertaining to bears. Just hoping someone that has hunted NM before can throw me a bone and give me a little help or at least point this inexperienced TX boy in a direction. Appreciate any and all help.

I like North Central NM for bear but that's where I have hunted. Decent numbers and the quota is healthy. E scouting for bear is tough because it is difficult to ascertain the type of forage from satellite photos. Open meadows are obvious starting points. That is where I have had the most luck so confirmation bias is probably in play. Pick a couple of units and contact the bear biologist in the area(there may only be one for the whole state but I cant remember). His/her contact information should be on the website. It used to be a guy named Rick Winslow but I don't know if it still is.

I used to hunt unit 10 a lot for elk and turkey. I was with a Navajo kid hunting ML elk when we topped a hill that had a hard rock top. We split up and after a few steps he shoots. Starts yelling "come quickly! I shot a bear and it might eat me." He was jamming more powder in his rifle. The bear had a 20"+ skull. It was just above a private ranch I think Mirabel? Anyway there are bears all over just have to be lucky enough to find one. I would hike straight up.

You have three options for bear hunting.

Stake out natural food sources.
Call them in.
Spot and stalk.

I don't know the laws in NM but in my state baiting is illegal. However, we can use a gut pile to get a bear. You'll get more coyotes than bear but a bear will come to a gut pile. Just make sure to shoot it before it eats the gut pile or the meat will taste like a gut pile.

I like North Central NM for bear but that's where I have hunted. Decent numbers and the quota is healthy. E scouting for bear is tough because it is difficult to ascertain the type of forage from satellite photos. Open meadows are obvious starting points. That is where I have had the most luck so confirmation bias is probably in play. Pick a couple of units and contact the bear biologist in the area(there may only be one for the whole state but I cant remember). His/her contact information should be on the website. It used to be a guy named Rick Winslow but I don't know if it still is.
Yep, Winslow is still the bear guy at Game and Fish. You maybe to find his contact info on the G and F website.

Thanks for the info. My plan was to call him later this summer and see what info I could get. That's pretty much what I figured on E-scouting, but the open meadows is something I hadn't thought about and I think that could definitely help.

You have three options for bear hunting.

Stake out natural food sources.
Call them in.
Spot and stalk.

I don't know the laws in NM but in my state baiting is illegal. However, we can use a gut pile to get a bear. You'll get more coyotes than bear but a bear will come to a gut pile. Just make sure to shoot it before it eats the gut pile or the meat will taste like a gut pile.
My main plan was the spot and stalk, but I guess with archery Elk season running concurrently the gut pile strategy might work.

Back