Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NL Pure Vs EL Experiences

I have had the SLC 15x56 and the EL 10x42. They were both amazing glass but I made the decision to replace both with the 12x42 Pures. Initial viewing through them have been a huge difference. I have yet, however, been to MT, or NM like I did with the SLC/EL's. Like @brymoore says, I will give a more honest review after 2023 hunting, but I am very pleased with clarity and fit. Surprising difference in feel, and how your hands hold them in comparison to the EL's, and of course the huge tripod worthy SLC's. Pures fit your hands so much better.

I would be satisfied with the eyes of an eagle, but my brain probably wouldn't be able to process the higher resolution:)

Buddy has 10x42 pures, i have 10x42 slc’s. Not an EL comparison but…

Glassing for elk at 1+ miles away, on tripods, I spotted more elk than him only because I stay on the glass like a fly on glue. I looked through his pures and they had a bit wider FOV as stated in their specs. Image quality to me wasnt much different during full sun. Towards last light he could still pick out the elk for just a few minutes longer than I could. The pures were also noticeably clear right to the egde, where mine lose just a hair on the edge. Thats a $2k difference for the bigger fov, 1% more clarity on the edge, and extra few minutes of low light glassing. Would I buy the pures if I could? Sure why not. Am I happy with the slc’s? Absolutely.

Just my .02

I would be curious as to how you're planning to use these? You stated you hunt out of a tree stand alot. How far are you glassing? My experience is that glassing at distance off a tripod is where high end glass really separates itself from the rest. Are the NL's better, IMO yes. But a nice used set of EL's at a decent price is a super awesome compromise. (Edited to better address OP)

Last edited:
I would be curious as to how you're planning to use these? You stated you hunt out of a tree stand alot. How far are you glassing? My experience is that glassing at distance off a tripod is where high end glass really separates itself from the rest. Are the NL's better, IMO yes. But a nice used set of EL's at a decent price is a super awesome compromise. (Edited to better address OP)
Varies some is pretty open terrain where you can see for miles. Some is pretty thick stuff. I’ve been hunting more and more in western ND, MT and have a lot of point investment in other states. All of those will be way different terrain.

End of day I’m a buy once cry once guy and low end and even mid tier glass hasn’t been worth it to me. I’ve saved up a ton of gift cards to invest into something I can use a long time.

Varies some is pretty open terrain where you can see for miles. Some is pretty thick stuff. I’ve been hunting more and more in western ND, MT and have a lot of point investment in other states. All of those will be way different terrain.

End of day I’m a buy once cry once guy and low end and even mid tier glass hasn’t been worth it to me. I’ve saved up a ton of gift cards to invest into something I can use a long time.
Sounds like 10x NLs will be your ticket for do-everything binos.

NL for sure!! I would be pulling the trigger this year if i had a worthy tag to justify it. I spent some time comparing the two my friend had NL is worth it in my opinion.

I actually prefer the ergos of the Els over the NLs. Also I don't necessarily notice the wide FOV of the NLs until I go back to my Els then I feel like Im looking through paper towel rolls. The edge clarity is great in the NLs though too.

I did compare both as well as their direct competitors from Leica and Zeiss. All are quite superb, all have pro's and con's but at the end of the day I bought the pair that suited me from an ergonomics, optics and feel good perspective.

I am delighted with my NL Pure 10x42's.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back