Nikon Scopes

fishing4sanity

Nikon is discontinuing their line of riflescopes. I've had a few of their scopes and have always thought they were pretty good. I was going to sell my FX 1000 to a friend to help him get going in some PRS matches, then I saw how much it was discounted on Euro Optic and told him to just buy a new one and I'll keep this one as a backup. So just an FYI to those looking for Nikon scopes, there will probably be some decent discounts as they sell out.

The Monarch line (3s and 5s) were nice for their price point. Because of their relatively value Nikon used to be my go to choice for scopes. Over time I have moved to Leupold, Sightron and Nightforce - but at a price. They had a significant market share, I don’t think this is a “failed business” decision, I think their decision to exit was a loss of home office support for being involved in “blood sports”. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this take a toll on some of the European vendors over time too.

Nikon CS was bad when they still made sport optics. Bet you are screwed if there is ever a problem. mtmuley

Glad I saw this. I just bought a Buckmaster scope. It's going back.

We're sales that bad to stop the whole line of scopes?

Speculation I heard was referenced in #3 above ^^

Well, that's pretty sad if that's the reason. Why would they call hunting for meat for your family a blood sport? I was born 150 years too late. I pretty much hate most of 2020. Give me a cabin in the mountains with a Hawken and i'm a happy camper.

Back to a peep sight.

Well, that's pretty sad if that's the reason. Why would they call hunting for meat for your family a blood sport?

Back to a peep sight.

My words not theirs - more accurately said, a bitter distaste for hunting, killing, shooting and guns. If you spend some time in Japan or Europe it you will understand . . . Sadly, even if you spend time at a big time liberal arts campus . . .

Glad I saw this. I just bought a Buckmaster scope. It's going back.

We're sales that bad to stop the whole line of scopes?
I bought a fairly pricey (for me) Monarch shortly before this and the warranty changes were announced so I know how you feel and did some digging at that time to find out what was going on. Nikon has a pretty dismal financial outlook but I don't know how bad "sport optics" was specifically. My thought is that rifle scopes is becoming a crowded market so I expect profits are being squeezed and with that division being a comparatively small part of Nikon, it might be easier to cut it loose than deal with low or declining margins especially if there is potential negative publicity. I do know that Nikon has taken flak in the past for producing riflescopes specifically their African Hunter line (or whatever it was called). A birder forum I stumbled onto whilst looking for information seemed to be celebrating the move so there may be more to the getting out of the business for publicity reasons than Nikon is letting on.

To be honest. I'm kind of glad. I really love a peep sight better for close still hunting for bear. I can get on the target faster with a peep than any scope. I always confuse myself when I buy a scope. I ask myself......why did you buy that? I never have an answer. This is a good excuse to send it back.

To be honest. I'm kind of glad. I really love a peep sight better for close still hunting for bear. I can get on the target faster with a peep than any scope. I always confuse myself when I buy a scope. I ask myself......why did you buy that? I never have an answer. This is a good excuse to send it back.
When you get older, you will know :)

I can't either but i've been still hunting all my life and really enjoy getting close. That works out with my crappy vision. As a perk to doing that is I don't need a real heavy load. I only use 60gr powder with a 420 gr NoExcuses bullet. It knocks everything flat.

Muzzleloader since I didn't mention it.

Scope came today. The glass looked so good I decided to keep it. It's mounted up ready to be shot.

Nikon will still honor the warranty. They just dropped the no fault part. I'm ok with that.

I just bought one as a spare a few weeks ago. It's a buckmasster 3-9x40 I think. It was discounted at SW for $69 IIRC.

I just bought one as a spare a few weeks ago. It's a buckmasster 3-9x40 I think. It was discounted at SW for $69 IIRC.

That makes feel bad. I paid $129. :(

Mine is a 3x9x40 too. As a timber hunter, i'll sight in and hunt with it on 3X all the time. I'm just looking for a clear sight picture. I can't get that with open sights anymore.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back