PEAX Equipment

Newfoundland Moose/Bear-Headed to camp!

jt13

This trip has been a long time coming, booked nearly 3 years ago. Its a surreal experience to actually be here after such a long build up of anticipation and excitement. As I type this I am sitting in the Gander, NL quality Inn about to head down for breakfast before being picked up by the outfitter around noon. So far everything has gone according to plan. Even flying with guns, gear, and luggage was a lot simpler that I thought it would be. Now on to the important part.... the hunt! Looks like mother nature is going to throw her worst at us here with 40-60% chance of rain everyday this week. Glad we splurged and bought top of the line rain gear, cause it gonna get put to the test. After the hunt, successful or not, I plan on posting a full breakdown on logistics, prep, gear, and the hunt in order to help other folks plan a trip in the future

Jt13, Good luck on your hunt. I'll be anxious to read your report if you write before I get there next week.

Good luck JT13!! That is a hunt that I have been researching since last year, and is on my bucket list for sure. What did you get as far as rain gear??

Good luck JT13!! That is a hunt that I have been researching since last year, and is on my bucket list for sure. What did you get as far as rain gear??
Ive got the Sitka Thunderhead and the fiance has the Sitka Downpour, basically the same gear in a different camo pattern. It'll be my first time wearing the Thunderhead but she has used the Downpour in the past on a number of hunts and the stuff is fantastic

Couple of pictures from Day 1 as I wait in the lobby of the hotel for the outfitter

From Newark Intl to Toronto, ON to Halifax, NS, to Gander, NL

Left my parents place where we spent the night at 2:00 am, arrived at Newark Liberty at 4:00am which left 2 hours to get through checking the firearms and security. It was important that we did leave ourselves some extra time as it took us an hour and half to get through that process! Guys that are going in the up coming weeks, give yourselves all the extra time that you can.

First stop was Toronto. Most important things to mention here is how important it is to give yourselves at least a 2 hour layover and that YOU MUST CLEAR CUSTOMS AND SECURITY A SECOND TIME NOW THAT YOU ARE ON CANADIAN SOIL. There were 2 sad and disappointed hunters at the Gander Airport who got NONE of their luggage that contained firearms ammunition, one of which had nothing except the empty cooler that he checked as a carry on and what was in his pockets. This was likely because their firearms and checked bags (with ammo in them) were still in Toronto.

The process looks something like this:
-Exit plane with customs declaration form they give you in flight
-Enter customs and declare firearms and ammo
-Proceed out of customs to oversized baggage claim area where firearm will be waiting for you
-Take firearms to customs officers in the baggage claim are
-Fill out Canadian firearms possession forms, pay $25
-Drop off firearm at special/oversize baggage security
-Go through security again with all your carry on bags and whats on your person
-IMPORTANT NOTE: Checked baggage that dont contain firearms will go straight on to the next plane
-From this point any other layovers should have your checked baggage (including firearms) put from one plane to the next, no special attention needed.

After arriving in Gander and collecting our things we checked into the Quality Inn which is much nicer than I had anticipated. Once we got settled in the room we went over to the bar/restaurant next door, Legends, and had dinner and a nice cold beer.

Day 2 was breakfast in the hotel restaurant and an impromptu hike to the local Walmart thats about 1.5 miles away to buy the fiance some warmer gloves as she forgot her good ones. Also stopped at the local liquor store for a bottle of Screech and Forty Creek to bring to camp.

Now the lobby of the hotel is filling up with excited hunters, their bags, and guns all waiting for their various outfits to pick them up!

20190914_145018.jpg20190914_131312.jpg20190914_153626.jpg20190914_173953.jpg20190914_061831.jpg

Grab a roll of electrical tape or some heavy duty rubber bands for your rain gear pants/boot connection.

Keeps unwanted water out when you step in an unexpected water hole.

Duct tape comes in handy for patching rain gear if you rip holes in your pants. Have a great time. I’ve done that hunt twice and both times I had to use the tape. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back