Newbie Meat Grinding Question

mxracer317

First time meat grinder operator!

Just got a Meat! 1.5hp grinder for my birthday, and looking at making some jerky today!

In anticipation for this day, I took the frozen ground deer meat out and put it in the fridge to safely thaw a few days ago.

Today is the big day, but the ground meat is semi-thawed! Huh? It's been 1.5 days in the fridge!

The question I have is with a 1.5hp grinder, is grinding semi-thawed ground meat an issue?

P.S. The reason I am grinding this meat that the butcher did for me, is to do a finer grind and mix the seasoning once the grinder breaks it apart from being semi-thawed.

... Or do I just wait till it thaws?

Thanks y'all!

Mostly frozen is the way. I'm pretty new to grinding too, and have a 3/4 hp grinder. Grinding 50-60lbs of venison today w a buddy, there's some good info, thoughts and tips in the "Why my Grinder Sucks" thread.

We grind moose. If you're meat has been ground find a big clean cooler or tote. Most mixes for brats n sausages n jerkeys come in portions for making 25 pounds at a time. And while you are making it up, taste it. Make a couple little patties n ask others opinions. That's half the fun n keeps folks fed. Sausage cooking smells great too.
We use pork fat as a binder n flavor. The fat , bright white is different from suet to me. We also buy 5# blocks of bacon bits to add to the grind. Bacon jerky sounds pretty good. I know I would save some for bacon burgers on the grill.
That's the fun part. We make all kinds of sausages n brats, son does up jerky of all flavors.
So your going to have fun n it's a family affair for us. I particularly like to process our own meat.
And take one make one includes working n learning together as a family processing your own game, it's a win situation

Everyone is correct about grinding semi frozen meat. When cutting fresh unfrozen meat, if I have time I’ll spread my cubed up meat for grinding on a tray and get it half frozen instead of leaving it thawed to grind.

When grinding keep everything as cold as you can, even put your grinder parts in the freezer if possible, this is especially helpful if you’re doing things like making sausage that requires mixing in fat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back