Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Newb question

bigdogg2278

I have never hunted mule deer before but it has been on my bucket list for sometime, I am looking at going to Colorado in the next few years. My main question is Colorado has some pretty diverse ground from 10,000+' mountains to the lower elevations where all of the oil work is being done. When looking for an area where do you start head high like elk hunting stick to lower elevations etc. I am a little stumped there any advice for a newb.

Both can be productive. I'd start by deciding what kind of country you would prefer to hunt. You can narrow your search once you have that figured out. That will allow you to key in on regions, researching draw and harvest statistics for specific units, and starting the map work.

Last edited:
First, you got to know what time of the year your planning on going. Early September? Early November? Makes a big difference in where the deer are at.

I will probably go rifle so mid to late October, by lower ground i meant more BLM type land

Sounds good. You can find specific units here -http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Maps/RulesRegs/BigGameGMUmap.pdf. Find some units in the areas you'd like to hunt. You can research the points required for the different seasons in each unit here -http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx. The same page has links to harvest statistics and population estimates for each unit.

Cool thanks last dumb question how can i tell which areas are more sagebrush vs something else?

Google "sage grouse distribution" and you'll get a decent idea. However, there's other low elevation stuff that would provide a similar hunt. Google Earth is a great resource to familiarize yourself with areas you're interested in.

Just remember east of I-25 there is very little public land to hunt. Some but there will be plenty of others in the tiny parcels. Some big deer there just plenty of competition

I've seen mule deer both times I've hunted elk. The last time I saw more mule deer than elk and could've shot a nice buck with my bow if I would've had a tag.

So....if I ever hunt mule deer, I'm just going to look for elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back