Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New Zealand Tahr Hunt May 2023

Great photos. Looks like a great spot, nice open country. Did you see chamois or deer?
We saw both chamois and red deer on the NZ public land hunt but the hunting guides recommended not to shoot. Free-range mountain tahr was our main goal. Windy, rain, some snow and sleet. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

That's awesome! We just got back from New Zealand & absolutely loved it! I hope to go again & next time I also hope to be chasing tahr. Congratulations!

Are the Tahr any good to eat?
No legal requirement to save the meat in NZ. We ate some red deer and chamois meat where I stayed after the hunt. The chamois was very good.

The tahr are rutting this time of year and he smelled like a pungent, wet trash bag of leaves that was sitting in a slow moving creek. Ripe!

Plus everything was wet like many hunts in the mountains worldwide - the terrain, the rocks, the weapons, the backpacks, our hunting clothes, boots, etc. and add in the snow, fog, sleet, plus wind. Pretty good little challenge.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

They taste great. Their entire undercarriage is covered in piss during the rut, so it’s a bit of a challenge to keep it off the meat.

Back