Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Zealand Stag Hunt

Calling is common on public land hunts.
I have used a cow horn and also an electronic caller (which has elk, red and sika deer calls), but now I just use a plastic Gatorade bottle with the end cut off :)

Looks like I'd need to get a firearms visitor permit if I bring my rifle.

As for mapping software, do you use paper maps? GoHunt doesn't have NZ, does ONX?

If I do this, I'd like to do it DIY since my company will likely get me there on their dime and I'd hunt in my spare time.

Looks like I'd need to get a firearms visitor permit if I bring my rifle.

As for mapping software, do you use paper maps? GoHunt doesn't have NZ, does ONX?

If I do this, I'd like to do it DIY since my company will likely get me there on their dime and I'd hunt in my spare time.
Yes, that’s my understanding you’ll need a permit to bring your rifle. I’ve heard they can take 4 months so recommend getting this done early. Also I believe you need a local contact added to the permit application.

I do use onx but mostly an app called NZ Topo50. This app gives you the public land boundaries and is only a few dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAG
Beautiful stag Kiwi, I got to spend 3 weeks on the South Island in 2003, and always wanted to go back. It’s too bad I can’t fly the meat home to the USA.

My mother was from New Zealand, born in Christchurch. I spent over a month in the Twizel area fishing about 20 years ago, fantastic. Anyway, I was wondering where I'd get information on importing a rifle as I'd like to go hunting there with some friends next year. I've been able to find lots of conflicting or incomplete information and it has really left me frustrated I'm afraid. I actually got the impression that since my Ruger No. 1 doesn't have a bolt it's illegal to import or transport in New Zealand, like I said confusing. So, if anyone can set me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Reactions: JAG
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back