New Zealand Dreaming?

live free or die

Anyone planning on a trip to New Zealand in the future may want to pay attention.
The current administration has been drastically ramping up their utopian goals as of late. It started with a massive poisoning operation as part of their "save the birds" campaign. This spring I saw deer carcasses everywhere at one of my favorite locations. The odd deer does manage to avoid it however I did not wish to shoot what may be there seed stock for the future.
Now they have there sights set on Tahr and plan on removing ( meaning shoot and leave to rot) about 25-30,000. Yes that's right 25-30,000. Although they have been doing culls for years now this is going to be done on a unprecedented scale. Another change is that they will also be targeting bulls this time where past agreement states no bulls to be shot. This operation is due to commence in a couple weeks leaving hunters and concerned citizens very little time to act.
Also the other day they started a proposal allowing to remove non-nation fish (ie: trout and Salmon from watersheds to assist the populations of native species.
Having hunted there for a month a year for the past 6 years I can say that New Zealand is an amazing place with some very big ecological problems.
That being said I cannot imagine dumping a million tons of poison on the landscape can have any upside.

Yes, I'm aware of this and I will be planning to hunt the tahr rut next May and I hope that I'm not too late.

There are plans to challenge this proposed cull in the high court. It is being instigated by Eugenie Sage, the current Minister of Conservation. She has a history of very biased views regarding the introduced game animals and believes they should be eradicated, not managed as a resource. Even if you are not a New Zealand resident, you can still help to prevent this slaughter by emailing our Prime Minister and explaining what the opportunity to hunt Tahr in New Zealand means to you. her email address is [email protected]. every email in support of a halt to this cull will help.

Andy.

I’m sure this big cull will go ahead and it will definitively make finding tahr more difficult. But culls and poisoning have been happening since about 1940. There’s no proper game management in New Zealand but governments often decide there are too many animals in the hills and remove them by poisoning and culling from choppers. The trick is adjusting plans to avoid the areas effected.

PS i think the cull number is around 17,000. More info here - http://www.doc.govt.nz/tahr-control-operations

Apparently the cull has been temporarily postponed. But the fight is far from over. Anyone that has been or hopes to, or just wishes to help they have “ give a little “ website to contribute to the cause.

That is good news and glad that I was wrong (I didn't think there would even be a postponement)! I have a tahr hunt planned for Dec and was think of cancelling as its in a cull target area, but now i will go if the cull is delayed.

Latest news is the tahr cull will go ahead but fewer numbers culled and importantly no bulls targeted.

Back