Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New WI Elk !

Trigger50

As we read this.....a herd of elk from Kentucky is in route to Jackson County Wisconsin ! They will be held for 75 days.... then released into the wild. The DNR has been wanting to do this for years, but CWD delayed it.

Last edited:
Wolves, bears, cars & poachers have limited the growth of the small herds in MN & WI. They are more welcomed in WI than in MN. MN farmer opposition has hindered any desires to expand the herds. The WI DNR is working to create more open habitat for the elk in the heavily forested areas where they are released. These heavily forested areas are mostly government lands w very little agriculture for the elk to raid.

Just read an article on this, with the slow growth of the other elk herd I am not sure if they will ever reach numbers that are hunt able but atleast they are putting forth the effort. Thank you to the WI DNR!

With all due respect, not all farmers in MN have hindered elk in MN and there are some very generous farmers and ranchers that have literally cared for and catered to the elk for over 20 years in MN.

I think Canoe Country is right . I am just not as excited about this release as I should be. 15 years ago Jackson county had very few bears and no wolves, now there is plenty of both. With out predator control and large areas of good winter habitat this project will be a long term slow growing money hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back