PEAX Equipment

New WBY Caliber

It looks like fun - and a Weatherby is definitely on my short list.

I'm now following hipstersofbozeman - thanks MTGomer. It's a good pairing with the Police Reports.

Meme
It looks like fun - and a Weatherby is definitely on my short list.

I'm now following hipstersofbozeman - thanks MTGomer. It's a good pairing with the Police Reports.

Meme Sommelier.

I’ll add it to my resume.

They make a lefty but with chambering limited to Weatherby proprietary cartridges.

I'm well aware of that. Back when I was a kid in western Wisconsin during deer season an old gent from Milwaukee would always bring his .300 Weberly. He'd bring it into the bar so everyone could admire and swoon over it.

This one gives me a bit of the look. .280 Remington, never fired by me.

iXzo6ui.jpg

nwC73M1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm well aware of that. Back when I was a kid in western Wisconsin during deer season an old gent from Milwaukee would always bring his .300 Weberly. He'd bring it into the bar so everyone could admire and swoon over it.

The Mark V backcountry TI comes in lefty but only .257, .300 and 6.5-300 (all weatherby mag), which is problematic as they are all the magnum cartridges so it's just their heavier rifle, my only interest would be in a caliber that gave you the lighter weight so 6.5 creed or .280AI.

Rock's helpful snark from comments....
"Rock

Sooo, it boasts Remington like specs with twice the price because it is a Weatherby cartridge… Yeah, I’ll pass… And V-E-R-Y FEW places even carry Weatherby ammunition. The finding the ammo aggravation and the ridiculous pricing of their ammo takes the Weatherby’s out of 99% of hunters/shooters cabinets.They are just NOT worth it for possibly a couple hundred FPS, usually less. Weatherby’s are great for the scarfed, pinky up on the champagne glass, through the nostril “I own a Weatherby” crowd or maybe someone actually hunting Africa, but for the normal, everyday Joe hunter…. A resounding NO..
$2,499.00 for the cheaper one.
$3,349.00 for the “expensive” one"

That's funny, pretty sure when someone crunched the numbers on these components and labor it was like $2,700, but Cerebus saddled Remington with a shitload of debt so..........

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.39.41 PM.png

I already have my Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Maybe have to take a road trip from PA to WV and have Mr. Forbes chamber it to 280AI.
BTW, this morning chrono'ed it with 150gr ABLR over Alliant PP4000.
Average 3,023fps. E/S 9fps, S/D 3 fps.

I'm a happy camper!

those hot 6.5's should zip the berger 156grn right along.

so they created a cartridge thats damn near the same thing as 6.5x284 norma (long action, .264" neck, .473" bolt face, similar powder column, nearly identical velocities etc...)
-grossly misrepresented 6.5x285 and .260Rem to make the RPM look better

weatherby rpm.PNG

so they created a cartridge thats damn near the same thing as 6.5x284 norma (long action, .264" neck, .473" bolt face, similar powder column, nearly identical velocities etc...)
-grossly misrepresented 6.5x285 and .260Rem to make the RPM look better

Pretty much standard new cartridge marketing over the past 20 years or so.

Rock's helpful snark from comments....

"Rock

Sooo, it boasts Remington like specs with twice the price because it is a Weatherby cartridge… Yeah, I’ll pass… And V-E-R-Y FEW places even carry Weatherby ammunition. The finding the ammo aggravation and the ridiculous pricing of their ammo takes the Weatherby’s out of 99% of hunters/shooters cabinets.They are just NOT worth it for possibly a couple hundred FPS, usually less. Weatherby’s are great for the scarfed, pinky up on the champagne glass, through the nostril “I own a Weatherby” crowd or maybe someone actually hunting Africa, but for the normal, everyday Joe hunter…. A resounding NO..
$2,499.00 for the cheaper one.
$3,349.00 for the “expensive” one"
Well I don’t own a scarf, and I don’t like Champaign, and been married faithfully to one woman for 30 years , but I have worked my ass of my whole life, made lots of sacrifices and I now at a point in my life to enjoy finer things in life. Really good rifles, expensive and well worth it hunting clothes. And after 35 years of driving regular vehicles I bought my wife a sports car. I am not saying it’s for everyone but some things are worth the money!!

Based on a quick search yesterday, The 6.5Wby RPM is basically on par with the 6.5PRC as performace and it doesn't resemble the standard weatherby design. 6.5-300wby takes on the classic shape of the weatherby round and is a crazy fast shooter.
About the same as fps as what's available from the 6.5-06 which is already a terrific cartridge. It doesn't have the sharp shoulder or anything but the 6.5-06 is an excellent cartridge. It would make a neat one and have the sharp shoulder if they would have made it a 6.5-06 AI, man bun included!
David

I like Weatherbys, particularly the .257, but I can't get excited about this one. Seems like it has all the performance of a 6.5 PRC with a pinch more speed in a standard bolt face, long action design with perhaps some extra case capacity for handloaders. I suppose it will make for a great ultralight like they've done with it. Maybe sheep hunters will be super excited? I don't know.

It is interesting to say the least. But honestly, I can't see myself getting one, the price alone is a bit much. Don't get me wrong, any Weatherby is an heirloom, however I already have enough tack drivers in my stable. I hope it succeeds for Weatherby.

About the same as fps as what's available from the 6.5-06 which is already a terrific cartridge. It doesn't have the sharp shoulder or anything but the 6.5-06 is an excellent cartridge. It would make a neat one and have the sharp shoulder if they would have made it a 6.5-06 AI, man bun included!
David

Shouldn't be much trouble to rechamber to the 6.5-06AI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back