New to pronghorn

critter

I am wanting to do an on my own pronghorn hunt, thinking about Wy in 2010. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Welcome to the forum, critter.

The first thing I suggest that you do is buy a preference point for the WY draw. You have until the end of September to buy a point on the G&F website ($30). That will give you a better chance in next summer's draw.

Then it's time to pick a unit. The map at the following link has the antelope units overlayed on a land status map of the state. This will allow you to see how much public land is available in each unit. This map is also overlayed with the BLM map names that correspond with each area.

http://plicmapcenter.org/pdf/WY_BLM_Antelope_PLIA.pdf

Go to the Resources page on this website and look at Wyoming draw odds for non-residents with 1 point. These are the odds from last year, but will give you an idea of how tough or easy it is to draw each unit. When you are looking at the odds, if you don't select a specific unit, it will show you all the hunts in the state. This will allow you to quickly scan down the page and find all the hunts that take 1 or fewer points to draw.

Once you've decided on a unit to apply for, order some BLM maps using the following form.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wy/information/docs.Par.76769.File.dat/wy9160-1.pdf

This is much cheaper than ordering the maps from plicmapcenter.com. I called the number on that form the other day and ordered 15 maps, rather than mailing the form. It only took about 3 minutes, the maps are only $4 apiece, and they charge no shipping. They will also send you lots of information about accessing, camping, hunting, etc on public lands in Wyoming as well. I got my maps in about 3-4 days. You want to order the Surface Management maps. They also have a large land status map of the entire state that is also very helpful (It looks just like the map at the first link I posted). It is $4 as well.

That should get you started. Good luck, and if you have any other general questions, I'm sure someone here can help. Probably won't give you their favorite units to hunt, but you understand. ;)

of course and thanks for the info. BTW what are some of the decent units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back