Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to Montana's Type 1 Block Management Area

AlaskaHunter

"TYPE I BMA — Area where hunters administer their own permission. This includes BMAs that use sign-in boxes, and BMAs that do not require hunters to obtain permission."

I am new to Montana's BMA, the maps I randomly looked at do not show the location of sign-in boxes.
For example:
BMA16 link
BMA101 link
BMA103 link
How does a new user determine whether a BMA requires signing at a sign in box?
How does a new user remotely locate sign in boxes?

Thanks.

All of the type 1 BMAs that I have hunted have required that you sign in at a sign-in box. Despite living near Plains a few years ago, I have not hunted any region 1 or 2 BMAs so the procedures may be different than the other 5. Most or all BMAs are now closed for the season in Montana, once spring hunting seasons are kicking off the new information will be available and BMAs will reopen assuming no changes have happened to the agreements between FWP and landowners. OnX has always been my go-to when initially finding BMAs, when they are open, OnX has a filter that will show BMAs and where the sign-in box is. From there I typically take a paper copy of the BMA map from the box if they have them. That way I have a backup of the map that shows the sign-in box, ranch headquarters, and other information.

"TYPE I BMA — Area where hunters administer their own permission. This includes BMAs that use sign-in boxes, and BMAs that do not require hunters to obtain permission."

I am new to Montana's BMA, the maps I randomly looked at do not show the location of sign-in boxes.
For example:
BMA16 link
BMA101 link
BMA103 link
How does a new user determine whether a BMA requires signing at a sign in box?
How does a new user remotely locate sign in boxes?

Thanks.
All of the sites you linked are open to public use per the listed rules without needing to sign in.

All of the Type 1 BMA’s that I have hunted that require sign in have the sign in boxes located on the map of the area.

Back