New to DIY looking for help. Based in NY Syracuse

Brennonb2

I have hunted upstate NY for 30 years. I am have decided it is time to look at other states for game not available in NY. Elk, pronghorn, mule, etc... small game too. Never had to hunt public so very new to this. I hunt with bow, muzzleloader, pistol, rifle and shotgun. Anyone looking for a serious hunting partner or to provide advice is appreciated

welcome!
"...game not available in NY. Elk, pronghorn, mule, etc... small game too ." That is a remarkably broad statement that has many, many options. Do you have a starting point in mind? Species? State? Goals? Budget?
Once you have something identified, you can find a wealth of information here using the search function. When you've read up a bit, you can ask more specific questions that will in turn lead to more questions. Most here are happy to help with those.

Welcome! Tons of info on here to get some ideas rollin

There are a few NYers and Ex-NYers on here too (myself included, I grew up just north of 'Cuse in Sandy Creek before moving out west) that can help get you goin

Welcome to HT!

What fits your fancy? If there is a particular species or style of hunting you've always wanted to try, there are plenty of suggestions and advice to go around if you want to throw out a specific idea you have.

Also, as a public land hunter of two decades, I "get to" hunt public land, rather than "have to." There are some truly amazing experiences out there on public lands in the US that are better than private land hunting IMO

Thank you for all the responses. I know it was a very broad struck for species. Location and species is not that important to me. I want to get out of my normal hunting. I currently hunt or trap from 9/1 to 3/1 depending on open seasons. I am not rich nor am I poor so my budget would be dependent on species and location. I am not guided hunt weathly! ELK Bison and Turkey are my big 3 right now. Deer are second. I have never passed up a good duck or pheasant hunt. I will read more post and research. But if anyone is looking to add or fill to a hunt I am I open

Welcome! Tons of info on here to get some ideas rollin

There are a few NYers and Ex-NYers on here too (myself included, I grew up just north of 'Cuse in Sandy Creek before moving out west) that can help get you goin
Sandy creek is under water! I think my problem is there is too much info

Welcome to HT!

What fits your fancy? If there is a particular species or style of hunting you've always wanted to try, there are plenty of suggestions and advice to go around if you want to throw out a specific idea you have.

Also, as a public land hunter of two decades, I "get to" hunt public land, rather than "have to." There are some truly amazing experiences out there on public lands in the US that are better than private land hunting IMO
I grow up hunting a family farm that is now gone. In NY public land hunting is over crowded at best. Looking west

Sandy creek is under water! I think my problem is there is too much info

I hear ya! My folks have been telling me about it, we've got friends with camps on Sandy Pond and they're all scrambling to put out enough sandbags. I was told they've put out 3 tractor trailer loads of sand and it still ain't enough

You should try to hunt Letchworth in the Southern Tier, it will be good primer for public land hunting.

I hear ya! My folks have been telling me about it, we've got friends with camps on Sandy Pond and they're all scrambling to put out enough sandbags. I was told they've put out 3 tractor trailer loads of sand and it still ain't enough
They closed the marina in Oswego! It is worse then 2017.

If i can help shot me a PM, as a former western NYer who now lives in a outdoorsmans paridise i will help ya out if i can. Go BILLS...Chris

Welcome. Utilize the search tab. Chances are someone has already beat you to any questions you may have. And also, sharing information and posting regularly goes a long way. Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Thank you for all the responses. I know it was a very broad struck for species. Location and species is not that important to me. I want to get out of my normal hunting. I currently hunt or trap from 9/1 to 3/1 depending on open seasons. I am not rich nor am I poor so my budget would be dependent on species and location. I am not guided hunt weathly! ELK Bison and Turkey are my big 3 right now. Deer are second. I have never passed up a good duck or pheasant hunt. I will read more post and research. But if anyone is looking to add or fill to a hunt I am I open
Well, turkey hunting is pretty easy to get set up DIY on a budget in pretty much any state. Elk, that is a bigger task. Start by getting PP in Wyoming and Colorado and you could probably hunt pretty quickly. I wouldn't ignore antelope, they are probably the best eating of all if you get hide off and cool meat quickly plus it is a great primer for glassing animals and practicing stalks. The Bison hunt I would think takes a lot of pp's. If you stick around and contribute you will learn much here about Western hunting.

I have hunted upstate NY for 30 years...

Hey Brennonb2, shoot me a DM. I am also looking for a hunting partner for my upcoming Colorado OTC Archery Elk trip this year (22-29 Sep). I'm planning on heading pretty deep into some wilderness areas. If our styles/ethics match up maybe we can make something happen.

Back