New to archery... will I be ready by fall?

I got my first bow the weekend I returned from Iraq in 05, Deer season was 2 weeks away. I practice everyday and I think I killed 2 does that first year.

Only you will really know if your ready. I wouldn't force myself to go hunting if I didn't feel prepared. That being said with modern compounds you really shouldn't have a problem hitting the killzone at 20 yards with minimal practice. I would dedicate a few days a week at a minimum and just focus on form and aiming and just shoot. Last year around this time my girlfriend was hitting a pie plate at 20 yards 10/10 . So we practiced a fee nights a week and by hunting season she was hitting a pie plate 10/10 at 40 yards. So with a little practice she doubled her effective yardage. So as complicated as archery can be it's pretty darn simple lol.

After a long break from archery I bought a bow a few years ago in April. I shot consistently that summer and made two perfect shots on deer that fall, October and December. After you get your bow sites dialed in start to get creative with your shooting. Standing, kneeling, sitting; different angles and distances. Demand perfection from yourself and you’ll be ready. It’s important to continue shooting and remain sharp throughout the season.

Of course just spend the months pounding the target. Define your limits and don't shoot farther than you are confident. A great tool is a 3D deer and spend the time punching it behind the shoulder from different angles depending on how you are hunting. You will be fine.

Some very good responses here, and I agree you should have no problem being ready. Only thing I would like to add. Shooting lots of arrows is great for building muscle and helps when it is cold because I guarantee your bow is going to be a lot harder to pull back after spending a couple hours in the cold.
However, every practice session concentrate really hard on the first group you shoot. I really like to take my time with that first shot. In a long shooting session your focus will deteriorate and practice will become less effective. And the first shot is what matters in real world anyway. Don’t think you need to shoot dozens of arrows to have a great practice session I keep my bow handy and try to shoot a couple arrows several times a week. sometimes I only shoot one group if I am pressed for time. But that one group I try to make count.

Timewise, no problem if you shoot every day. Just remember to practice with your gear on! It's the little niggles that will get you on the money shot.

Back