New smoke pole

Fj40mojo

Just finished this build. Cabela's Hawken kit in .54cal. Plum browned the barrel. Still have to make a better ramrod for it but its shootable now.

image_zpsb225d058.jpg

image_zps11a566ea.jpg

image_zpsd7532255.jpg

I started hunting later in life,when I was in my mid-twenties.My first firearm was a 50 cal. similar to yours.Boy I learned hard lessons with that gun, missed some BIG animals i.e. a 28" muledeer(non-typical) and had a mis-fire on a 330 bull which was quickly harvested by my buddy with his 30.06.I get to look at this bull every time I visit his house.First thing I did was get rid of that adjustable front sight and pu ton a fixed traditional.Started shooting ALOT better,killed a handful of deer and a moose.Just a suggestion.Sure looks polished compared to mine.Have fun,hopefully you know more than I did at the time.

Don't wait too long replacing the ramrod. Those things can splinter at the worst time. I like the plumb!

Not my first rodeo. Been hunting with black powder since I was 14. Killed my first deer with my dads .50 cal TC Hawken. Couldn't hold the gun up and shoot offhand and was too short to see over the sagebrush sitting down so dan fabbed up some cross sticks for me to shoot off of and got the job done.

My first kit was a .50 cal David Pedersoli Kentucky style carbine, full stock, fixed sights, nice little 6 1/2 lb mountain rifle. After 3 ramrods I finally built one that won't break. 3/8" Titanium round stock and I have enough to build one for this gun too!

That first gun was built around a .45 cal 300grn Hornady XTP over 90grns of Pyrodex and it took a long time to get those fixed sights to where they shot right to point of aim at 100yds. Now ID has changed their rules on projectiles for muzzleloader hunts, ie no sabots only patched round, maxi and mini balls which it doesn't shoot nearly as good as it does the saboted pistol bullets, so I think I'll hang on to my adjustable sights.

Last edited:
Back