New Scope

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5 - 12X with lighted green dot on my .300 Win Mag. Very happy with it. Around $900.00 at Optic Planet. Lots of good scopes on the market.

I’ve had good luck with Tract Optics. They only sell direct, so you won’t find them in stores or other online retailers. But there’s a lot of online reviews that are very positive. High end componetry such as Schott glass. Their top of the line hunting scope is $750, but compares to scopes selling for over $1,000.
I've been checking them out. How do you like it? Which model do you have?

There are too many variables that you need to expand on...do everything scope doesn't tell us (me) anything. Could you expand on weight requirements? distances shot? Dial or set it forget it? FFP or SFP? your personal preference to zoom settings? Really without those I could say grab a Vortex Viper sight it in and leave it and it'll do just fine but it sounds like you're wanting something at $1k vs what would just work.

I have a 4-16 Zeiss V4 on my 300WinMag. I have the VX3i 4.5-15 30mm ZL on my 280ai...function so far is good but I have a bit of aberration that I fight with. Both are good scopes but are completely different in optical quality and the CDS dial on the Leupold isn't as precise to me.

There are too many variables that you need to expand on...do everything scope doesn't tell us (me) anything. Could you expand on weight requirements? distances shot? Dial or set it forget it? FFP or SFP? your personal preference to zoom settings? Really without those I could say grab a Vortex Viper sight it in and leave it and it'll do just fine but it sounds like you're wanting something at $1k vs what would just work.

I have a 4-16 Zeiss V4 on my 300WinMag. I have the VX3i 4.5-15 30mm ZL on my 280ai...function so far is good but I have a bit of aberration that I fight with. Both are good scopes but are completely different in optical quality and the CDS dial on the Leupold isn't as precise to me.
Do you prefer the Zeiss?

Do you prefer the Zeiss?
Yes as far as I'm concerned the 2 aren't even in the same league and their price points reflect that with the Leupold being almost half the cost. The VX3i, in my experience, is still a good scope. The Zeiss V4 and the Leupold VX5HD are probably closer though I've never looked through the VX5HD outside.

I know people speak highly of Meopta scopes though I don't have personal experience with them. They are priced in line with Leupold VX3i but I'm told they are optically superior and that Meopta makes glass for Zeiss.

For the price range you are in I would be looking at nightforce, zeiss, meopta meostar, and swfa hd. Since it is going on a lightweight tikka, i would go meopta or zeiss.

I just put a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14-40. It’s got the cds turret with there version of a zero stop, side focus and a 30mm tube on my Bergara wilderness ridge rifle. It’s still a pretty light weight scope. I’m pretty impressed with the little I’ve gotten to shoot it.
Do you like that Bergara? What caliber is it in?

Do you like that Bergara? What caliber is it in?
I’ve really just started breaking the barrel in so I haven’t really gotten in to see what it will do but the fit and finish is nice and the muzzle break tames the 7mm mag down really well. I’m hopping this week I can take some time and send some more rounds down it.

I’ve really just started breaking the barrel in so I haven’t really gotten in to see what it will do but the fit and finish is nice and the muzzle break tames the 7mm mag down really well. I’m hopping this week I can take some time and send some more rounds down it.
I am looking at the same gun. I would be very interested to hear how you like it when you get some more rounds down range. If you don't mind after you do hit me with a PM. Thanks

I've been checking them out. How do you like it? Which model do you have?
I’ve got a Tekoa on my Tikka 300WSM. That used to be their mid-range scope, but they discontinued it and now only offer the Toric which has always been their top of the line. I have the Toric on my X-bolt .270. I like them both, although there’s a noticeable difference in the Toric in low light. Both scopes are 1” tube, 3-15x50 with BDC reticle. High scope mounts on both rifles results in about 1/8” gap between end of scope and barrel. They both have side parallax/focus adjustment, and zero stop elevation turrets. They offer custom ballistic turrets, but I did not opt for that.

Bottom line is that I really like both scopes, especially for the money. I also have an old Vortex Razor HD, and the Tract scopes are better optics at half the price.

I’ve got a Tekoa on my Tikka 300WSM. That used to be their mid-range scope, but they discontinued it and now only offer the Toric which has always been their top of the line. I have the Toric on my X-bolt .270. I like them both, although there’s a noticeable difference in the Toric in low light. Both scopes are 1” tube, 3-15x50 with BDC reticle. High scope mounts on both rifles results in about 1/8” gap between end of scope and barrel. They both have side parallax/focus adjustment, and zero stop elevation turrets. They offer custom ballistic turrets, but I did not opt for that.

Bottom line is that I really like both scopes, especially for the money. I also have an old Vortex Razor HD, and the Tract scopes are better optics at half the price.
Good to see a good review on these tract scopes. I wish they made one with a 4x zoom range with the same glass for a few hundred less.

I have the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm on a T/C Compass 300 WM and love it. Approx. $1,000 scope on a $350 rifle and shoot sub-MOA (with trigger spring upgrade). Great combo. Had a Vortex Viper on a Ruger Precision and much prefer VX-5HD. Haven't tested it to long range yet to see consistency in dialing elevation. The Vortex struggled in that area.

I'm looking at the Tikka T3X Lite Veil Wideland as well (in .30-06) and will move or put a new VX-5HD on it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back