New rifle

mthillrunner

Hello, I am looking at getting a new rifle. I am looking at 2 specific guns: Montana Rifle Company x2 & Weatherby Wilderness, in 25-06. I have narrowed it down to these 2 for several reasons. Neither of these are what I would call common guns. I was curious if anyone who has handled or fired these guns could give me any insight. Like/dislike about the gun or any issues encountered. Thanks very much.

A friend of mine just picked up a Montana about a month ago. He was real excited, but he had to wait almost twice as long as they originally projected because some issues with bolt production. If you are in a hurry, you might want to see if they have that issue figured out. This friend of mine felt like it kinda soured the experience because constantly wondering if he would ever see it. Montana promised him that he would have it for a Wyoming antelope hunt and it arrived just before he left causing some major stress.

I have an MRC x2 in 270wsm. It was an easy choice for me being a lefty. I ordered the gun in Dec of 15 and got it in April of 16. Love the gun. Super smooth, very accurate. I have ran 20 some different loads and bullets through it and it shoots almost everything well. With the right loads it will shoot 1.5" 5 shot groups at 300 yards. I really dislike most sinthetic stocks, but really like the x2 stock. The only negitive I have is that it is a little on the heavy side. I like it enough to have sold my xbolt 2506 and I ordered another x2 back in oct. FYI you can get different stock colors. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Nothing against Weatherby but my preference would be the MRC X2. I like that package, I love the platform.

Biggest complaint I've heard(read online) about MRC is wait times, everything else seems positive. I'm in no hurry, I have no experience with either.

I have not shot one but handled several and they sure seem to be built right and whats not to love about the best that a Mauser 98 and Winchester Model 70 has to offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back