Yeti GOBOX Collection

New rifle for deer

If you run accross a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts, jump on it!
For some reason the 25 calibers seem to perform better than what their numbers, and preconcieved notions allow.

My daughter is extremely recoil shy, but i have to fight with her to get my Ruger back.

Finally built her a custom Mauser in 7X57 Mauser.
Loaded up with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, is low recoiling & just what the doctor ordered for deer and such.

The savage high country is a great gun. I wouldn’t recommend factory rem actions. 243 6cm 6.5 cm or prc would all be good options.

If you run accross a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts, jump on it!
For some reason the 25 calibers seem to perform better than what their numbers, and preconcieved notions allow.

My daughter is extremely recoil shy, but i have to fight with her to get my Ruger back.

Finally built her a custom Mauser in 7X57 Mauser.
Loaded up with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, is low recoiling & just what the doctor ordered for deer and such.
Yeah my FIL has the Ruger 77 in 25-06 and it is nice. He just took a nice buck with it on Sunday. Of course, he didn’t invite me this year to go ahhha
6AD57B85-2FA3-4350-B29D-22BA5FE062B1.jpeg

I’m with Ben Lamb on this one. I’ve killed more deer with a 243 than anything else and I have rifles chambered all the way up to 7mm mag.

The 7-08 and 6.5 will be a little more versatile. Ammo availability and price is a big deal these days. The 6.5 ammo has gotten pricey. I can still find 243 ammo pretty regular, haven’t looked for 7-08. But I find what my rifle likes and buy in bulk so I don’t have to worry about running out or future prices.

7mm-08, 6.5 CM, or .308 win if you’re looking for a primarily deer cartridge. The 6.5 and .308 ammo is much easier to find compared to 7mm-08. I’m partial to the X Bolts myself but certainly nothing wrong with the other brands mentioned. Look at as many as you can and let the rifle choose you.

For most people the answer is they already own an AR. They just need to put a hunting scope on and use deer bullets. A deer high shouldered with a 223 isn't going anywhere. Put a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 on your AR in a stout mount is the short answer.

Otherwise, 25-06 is in the sweet spot along with .260 and plenty of others. 243 bullets are too narrow and too short too help you on marginal hits. Draw the line north of 6mm and 100gr. Pick whatever seems cool. It'll work. If impact velocity is above 2600fps it'll work extra well.

Short barrels are louder. 2506 needs a longer barrel.

The rifle doesn't matter as much as the scope and mount. If you get a bolt action the handle needs to be on the same side as your dominant eye. If you need to cut costs to afford a good scope and mount, skimp on the rifle. You can't shoot it if you can't see it or lose zero.

DNZ mounts are reliable and easy. You want a reticle you can see in the low light. You need enough field of view to fit at least two thirds of the animal in at the shortest range you'll see it. In the specifications that's listed as 40' or 50' at 100 yards.

Not trying to pick on 243, but I've helped trail too many deer shot with 243 to take it seriously. 223 works just as well and people shoot them better. The people I know who do well with 243 are the reason for their success, not the cartridge.

From what ive researched, if I go 243 or the 6.5, I’ll go with Tikka. If I decide to go a 2506, the Weatherby with the longer barrel might be ideal. I even thought a 243 first, then later down the road I’ll have an excuse to get another caliber……. If my wife doesn’t see this that is.

Longer barrels are more challenging in a tree stand if that is a consideration I’d also consider a caliber with ammo that’s more easily found.

My dad has a Rugger M77 II in 25-06. He absolutely loves it. The 25-06 is probably the best medium-long range deer/antelope cartridge ever designed. (Someone that likes the 6.5 is gonna give me heat lol) My choice would be the Tikka; barrels over 22" should stabilize the bullet. I'd check out some of the stuff Ron Spomer has out there he is a big quarter bore advocate. You also might wanna get into reloading if you wanna get big into the 25-06 just to make sure you always have ammo that is a good match to your gun.

Howdy. Stay with the 243. Good intro gun for new folks! Then, later on you have a reason to buy another rifle "'cause I need a little bigger rifle to hunt ....".

Well I have both rifle brands, a Tikka T3 Lite and a Savage 110 LA. Both rifles are great and accurate guns straight up. Flip a coin. Heads is Savage. Tails is Tikka. You can't go wrong with either.
:cool:

Unless you are looking at Remington rifles from MANY years ago I'd avoid them like the plague
There is a reason why they went belly up and that reason was that their quality went to shit (among others).
Howa
Tikka
Savage
I'd look strongly at 6.5cm or 7mm-08 with reduced recoils loads to start with.

My wife is an adult onset hunter/shooter.
I got her a "matched set" of a Savage 17 hmr and a Mossberg Patriot super bantam in 6.5 ManBun.
Both have the same action and same red dot scope on them (she is cross eye dominant).
They are both short stocked as she is only 4'11 and 3/4" tall (god forbid I forget that last three quarters...) and allow for great crossover training using rimfire rounds which are still relatively cheap and easy to find.
She has been shooting for a year or two now but just finished her Hunter's Ed this month.
Will be looking for a Weatherby Camila in 7mm-08 at some point if she sticks with the hunting.

Not trying to pick on 243, but I've helped trail too many deer shot with 243 to take it seriously. 223 works just as well and people shoot them better. The people I know who do well with 243 are the reason for their success, not the cartridge.
What you mean is that you've "helped trail to many POORLY shot deer".........

I’m a big 25-06 fan, so that’s what I’d recommend. Excellent mid range deer/antelope rifle, super easy on the shoulder, and excellent down range performance. I have a Rem 700, but if I were doing it again I’d probably look at the Tikka or Weatherby. Also go either 24 or 26” for the barrel, you’ll get a noticeable bump in FPS.

What you mean is that you've "helped trail to many POORLY shot deer".........
Nope. 243 works about as well as 223. You need a CNS hit or you're apt to look a while. There has to be a limit somewhere. 243 is below the threshold for general utility.

223 does what 243 actually does. 6.5 Grendel does what people thought 243 would do. 2506 does what 243 users wish it did.

Nope. 243 works about as well as 223. You need a CNS hit or you're apt to look a while. There has to be a limit somewhere. 243 is below the threshold for general utility.

223 does what 243 actually does. 6.5 Grendel does what people thought 243 would do. 2506 does what 243 users wish it did.
My freezer would disagree with you. I’ve shot a lot of deer, antelope and a handful of elk with a 243. Good bullets, and placement I’ve never had to “look for a while”.

I think you'll find that deer that run off from a hit with the 243 were all hit with poorly placed bullet's. I am not a fan of the 243 for big game but I do know that the 243 will kill very well and quickly. I have taken three deer with a 243 and each with one shot! What is it a 25-06 will do a 243 won't do? I have both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back