New Remington 700 ADL?

EKYHunter

Thinking of buying a new Remington 700 in .308. I know Remington has had their issues over the last decade or even longer. I’ve always been partial to Remington and Browning but I don’t currently own a Remington big game rifle. So, am I crazy for considering purchasing a new one?

I would be carefull with buying a new Remington. I have an old 700 (1986) and a new 700 (2008) and the workmanship between the two isn't even close. The old one was so much easier to get to shoot sub MOA.

Thinking of buying a new Remington 700 in .308. I know Remington has had their issues over the last decade or even longer. I’ve always been partial to Remington and Browning but I don’t currently own a Remington big game rifle. So, am I crazy for considering purchasing a new one?
It's probably not a huge risk. Remington rifles are going for great prices used, so if it doesn't shoot, or sucks in some other way, you can likely get your money back. My first centerfire rifle was an ADL from 1969, in .30-06 (I bought it used, I'm not that old). It did the job nicely and now does the job for a friend of mine.

When you say new, when was this rifle manufactured?

I've always liked Remingtons, and am currently down to my 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag, and my Dad's old 870 Wingmaster 20 ga. I have never had a Browning, and am considering an X-Bolt...good choice?

When you say new, when was this rifle manufactured?
Buying new online from a box store so I’m not sure as to manufacture date. I’m assuming very recently but who knows. That’s a great question though. I’ll see if a little research can answer that.

I've always liked Remingtons, and am currently down to my 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag, and my Dad's old 870 Wingmaster 20 ga. I have never had a Browning, and am considering an X-Bolt...good choice?
X Bolt is an excellent choice. I’ve got a Hell’s Canyon Long Range and it’s a shooter. Also have a regular HC Speed in 7MM-08 in order. I love them, great rifles.

Last edited:
I have 2 rem 700s. An older 7mm mag bdl and a newer adl I 270 with plastic stock and no metal polish. Both shoot good. I bought the adl used a few years back and it had a front action screw that was a little too long and bound the bolt. Probably why the last owner got rid of it. Simple fix for me and it's been a good shooter. Now, recently, I bought a 700 AWR in 300 win mag used. Rifle looked almost new. Cera coated stainless barreled action in a greybow stock. when I finally found ammo the rifle wouldn't fully chamber a round. Also, scope screw was stripped. The extractor looked buggered up. Took it back and the store sent it off to the gunsmith. About a month later I get it back. Screw replaced and the gun will now chamber but it won't feed the 3rd round from the magazine. I fired one round and the brass won't extract. Had to tap it out with a cleaning rod. It's back to the gunsmith again to fix these problems. Store has been great to deal with. This was a recently produced gun given the scan code lasered into the metal. I have been happy with my older ones but the newer stuff really lacks in quality. This was especially disappointing given the AWR is one of their premium rifles. I also don't love the tiny extractor. In my case I think it was damaged by the last owner trying to extract the stuck case. I think a more robust extractor wouldn't have been damaged as easily. I will say that I haven't had any issues in this department with my other rifles. As for the new rifles time will tell. This is a new company so hopefully they tighten up the quality. Remington knows how to build a quality rifle. They have a lot of aftermarket support which is really nice. I bought the AWR with the plan of replacing the trigger. Easy to do on a remington given its popularity. As for the browning, they are great. I have an Abolt but not an Xbolt. I think both are better guns than the remington. Better design and better quality. I don't love the triggers though. Too heavy for my taste. I installed a mcarbo spring in mine which helped alot. Good luck.

i have never been brand loyal but i do tend to buy what I have good experience with and I buy a lot of Remington 700’s ! I purchased a 700 ADL in 270 win for my son in law and he still carries it as his only deer rifle and why not shooting rag hole 130’s . Remington 700 actions are highly sought after for custom builds and why not it’s a great action. The only problem that I ever had with a Remington 700 was a damaged crown on a new VSSF 204 which was resolve back at the factory. Browning Abolts and Xbolts are also nice and good choices as well. I have one of each and I’m very happy with them as well. I would no hesitate to buy that ADL as a go to hunting rifle. I wish yo luck in your quest .

This is what is left at Pacific Tool and Gauge. These barrel actions need to be finished by a gun smith. But they are great places to start. If you go this route to build a ADL you will have close to a 1000 into it but will have a very very nice rifle. Much better that what you will get from the factory.
Also you mentioned.308 but the Stainless 24” 30-06 is a great option. I’ve ordered a couple and it’s the SPS barrel contour.

Attachments

• 0CC2B944-1987-4FB6-9C10-97F4914838BD.jpeg
    0CC2B944-1987-4FB6-9C10-97F4914838BD.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
This is what is left at Pacific Tool and Gauge. These barrel actions need to be finished by a gun smith. But they are great places to start. If you go this route to build a ADL you will have close to a 1000 into it but will have a very very nice rifle. Much better that what you will get from the factory.
Also you mentioned.308 but the Stainless 24” 30-06 is a great option. I’ve ordered a couple and it’s the SPS barrel contour.
I’m shocked the swifts are still on the list

I’ve bought a few newer(before the last bankruptcy) Remingtons and have yet to find a bad one. I would have zero issues with buying a new one right now.

I’m ready for the new Model Sevens to start hitting the shelves.

I have a bunch of Remingtons rifles including a few ADLs. I would not buy a new ADL. The bolts are bead blasted and rough and the finish will rust just sitting in the safe. Every Remington I have shoots very well. I think I own about 8. I have a newer ADL, I had it coated to smooth it up some and make it a little more weather resistant. I also have 3 older ADLs, and they are way nicer rifles than the new ones. Including a 308.

For the price Remingtons are fetching I'd look at a Howa, Vanguard or Bergara. I bought a Howa not long ago and am very impressed with it for the price.

Personally I'd avoid new Remington's based on friends experiences. I have a browning A Bolt and that rifle is a tack driver. Completely stock rifle, never had to do a thing to it and it shoots 1/2 MOA all day long. A bolts were discontinued back in 2011, few minor changes made to the X bolt, but I'd still buy an X bolt before a Remington with current the issues. My dad bought a tikka, I've taken quite a liking to that rifle too. Just my 2 cents!

I bought a 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag in July of 2020 from Walmart. It's a GREAT rifle, but I get that that market is hit or miss with the quality.

Are you crazy for considering it, Maybe, maybe not! Only way you'll ever know is to buy it! It would be foolish for Remington or anyone to down grade their product to the point it ruined their business. Anyone else's opinion on it doesn't matter. ya get one you don't like worst thing that can happen is someone can say, "told ya so"! Best thing that could happen is it turn's into your go to rifle! Go for it!

I am not an engineer and haven't got enough experience with different brands to recommend one over the other. But I do know what I like and even if it's being bad mouthed but I've had good luck in the past, I'm still gonna go for it. If it works out well, fine. If it doesn't, you can say told ya so and that's the end of it. A 700 ADL is not gonna make you sell the farm to buy it!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back