Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New reloading bench

nhenry

Wife gave me the go to build a bigger reloading bench, so I designed it on CAD during some free time at work, went to home depot and spent 65 bucks on supplies (prices have really raised on wood I found out), and put it together.

ABDC7E93-DC00-4391-8872-8D9C95DBBB32.jpeg

Last edited:
This should be a good workable bench for you. I started in a 2x8 with my press mounted on it, c-clamped to the kitchen table in college. It worked but quickly went to a small standalone section of kitchen drawer, with countertop still attached. Did a lot of reloading on that until I moved into an apartment and built a bench specifically for the room I was planning to reload in. I spent too much time and effort building that bench when I could have done it simpler, cheaper, faster and been reloading sooner. Now I’ve moved that bench twice with me and it doesn’t quite fit anywhere I put it. Don’t get wrapped up in the bench until you have a permanent situation, this bench looks like it will work excellent to feed your rifles!

Good news
This should be a good workable bench for you. I started in a 2x8 with my press mounted on it, c-clamped to the kitchen table in college. It worked but quickly went to a small standalone section of kitchen drawer, with countertop still attached. Did a lot of reloading on that until I moved into an apartment and built a bench specifically for the room I was planning to reload in. I spent too much time and effort building that bench when I could have done it simpler, cheaper, faster and been reloading sooner. Now I’ve moved that bench twice with me and it doesn’t quite fit anywhere I put it. Don’t get wrapped up in the bench until you have a permanent situation, this bench looks like it will work excellent to feed your rifles!
The good news with this table is that it’ll be easy to fit anywhere I need it. Since we live in an apartment currently, I was limited to 48x24, but since I don’t have a big loading operation I don’t need a huge reloading bench. This is about perfect right now. When we move into a bigger place I’ll add onto it

Well, yes it's larger than the first one. And it looks like you did a nice job of it!

But man was i expecting something totally different!

At least cleaning & organizing won't eat up much time.
I need to clean & organize my reloading area. Should be done in about a week! :oops:

First of all, it's too clean and even has some workspace! :D

Fifty some years ago, my reloading bench was just a little larger, but I had a single stage 12 ga reloader and a Herter's "C" press on it for reloading my then one rifle and two pistol cartridges.

Haha, I did about the same for a while. I used to relocate ever 6-12 months for work and I just had a 2x6 that the press was bolted to that I c-clamped to whatever was available. Eventually graduated to a “2x4 basics” bench that could easily be assembled/taken apart and I still use it today. https://www.toolshackweb.com/workbe...FUMSveBJZ5Yzw-bpfWVMavt34Sf8RL_xoCn8QQAvD_BwE
Had a couple fully furnished rentals where they also did cleaning. The cleaning ladies thought I was nuts when they saw my kitchen or second bedroom converted to a gun/reloading shop.

Haha, I did about the same for a while. I used to relocate ever 6-12 months for work and I just had a 2x6 that the press was bolted to that I c-clamped to whatever was available. Eventually graduated to a “2x4 basics” bench that could easily be assembled/taken apart and I still use it today. https://www.toolshackweb.com/workbe...FUMSveBJZ5Yzw-bpfWVMavt34Sf8RL_xoCn8QQAvD_BwE
Had a couple fully furnished rentals where they also did cleaning. The cleaning ladies thought I was nuts when they saw my kitchen or second bedroom converted to a gun/reloading shop.
Haha! Yep, always felt judged when the landlord came in for quarterly inspections and always did the double take at the reloading bench and ammo cans neatly arranged. 😁

My earliest setup was funny. Bet I was one of a few people who had an old used Co-Ax press, screwed to a board, c-clamped to the table. Always thought it was ironic that I had that press in that situation. That press deserved better.

I think it's a great starter size that can be moved and added on to as needed . I would add some sides and doors on the front just to "hide" the stuff underneath . Mine is about the same size , but I leave the dog in that room .
IMG_2616.jpg

Sorry, looks too small and too light. But then again I'm a clutterer.
To lite sounds right. My top is 3/4" plywood covered with 3/4' pqrtical board covered with linolium. My legs are 2x4 but have metal clips holdint them to the floor. the back 2x4 the top is put on is screwed to studs in the wall. Nothing moves that table. But it is a nice looking table!

The ability to lift the table off the ground when pulling up on a sticky cartridge in the resizing die is what makes me go heavy. What you have built is good. If it works, it works. I managed to snag an old work bench from a mtc sop remodel. 2x4's on edge ready rodded together. 3' deep mounted on some surplus steel cabinets. 12' long. It doesn't lift off the ground. I'm getting better at not needing so much force.

Take some corner brackets and screw it right to the wall at the baseboard , that will keep it from moving around .
A little caulk when you move it and no one will ever know .

Mines affixed to the wall , can't budge it .

Looks good. Put something around the edge to keep stuff from rolling off. Even a bead of silicone around the top edge will stop a brass or bullet from hitting the floor. This gets more important the older you get. :D

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back