Caribou Gear Tarp

New Powder needed

StrutNut

I am almost out of Black Powder and I need to get something for my wifes TC TreeHawk. IT uses a no11 cap and granular. I have tried Pyrodex and Clean shot and neither went off any where near as consistent as BP. The MN season is going on right now and it is typically pretty cold out and moisture is a big issue. I bought an inline and have not had any firing issues with the 209 primers and pellets but it is not an option for her old TC. What powder has a lower ignition temp like BP but is easier to clean? What would you recommend?

Ive been using triple 7 now for close to 5 years with pretty good results cold or warm,,,just make sure your rifle is at nearly outside temps so you wont get barrel sweat{moisture} issues from major temp changes as it will not fire if it sweats.

Goex is very hard to get in my parts. There used to be a great Muzzleloader shop in Brooklyn Park, MN. They had it and you just signed the sheet and grabbed a pound. I got a fresh pound every year. They are no longer in business and I have yet to see anyone else carry anything else other then Pyrodex, Tripple 7, Clean Shot and Shockeys Gold. I tired Pyrodex and Clean Shot hated it. Didnt ignite near as consistent or as fast at Goex BP. I got a nice little TC Treehawk 50 call that my wife just loves and gotta find a good cold weather powder. I will give Tripple 7's a try if I don't like it - I will be using that shared link!!!!

I have used 777 as cold as 10 degrees and it got me a nice 5pt muley last year,,,just be aware of the barrel sweat issue as it or any other black powder including goex wont lite if the barrel sweats as they are all water soluble powders,,,had a cow elk get away a few, years back on this issue as i loaded my 50 degree gun at my camper then went out in 20 degree cold and temp swing was enough to dampen my powder charge,if my gun was cold at outside temps{put in cold cab of truck} then the barrel sweat doesnt happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back