Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Phone Advice

JDH

So recently my Samsung S8 Active has begun to act up. In the past month it has randomly restarted twice and every few days it tells me I don't have a SIM inserted. I can restart it to get the SIM error fixed for a couple of days. I'm also having the normal issues that come with an older phone, battery life, slow app starts, random app crashes, etc. I've been a Samsung guy for 10+ years, it started out because I didn't like how Apple didn't let me change most settings but I ended up staying with Samsung for the Active line due to the ruggedness and water/dust resistance. Here lately I've been trying to talk myself into an Iphone but I'm finding it hard to justify switching. I've heard iOS has better security, I assume better app support, and it seems like everyone is making the switch. Most phones nowadays have good IP ratings so that's probably not as much of a concern anymore.

Anybody made the switch from one to the other? Is there really a difference these days between the specs? Like most on here, my hobbies revolve around being outside so I'm pretty rough with my phone.

I only use PCs at work but my personal hardware is Mac... it's just better for the money no two ways about it.

Iphone 13/14 are pretty amazing. Camera is insane, definitely better than the body on my Nikon and the lens is better than all but my biggest lens.

They are decently water resistant now, definitely get a good screen protector and case.

I only use PCs at work but my personal hardware is Mac... it's just better for the money no two ways about it.

Iphone 13/14 are pretty amazing. Camera is insane, definitely better than the body on my Nikon and the lens is better than all but my biggest lens.

They are decently water resistant now, definitely get a good screen protector and case.
I like to live dangerously...haven't used a case for 5-6 years. Always a screen protector though. That's one reason I really like the Active line. IIRC, they started out by marketing them to be used underwater.

I started with apple, went to android, now back to apple. I use it as my gps while hunting/hiking and am cautious but not gentle. Never an issue with durability on the new-ish phones. When my 11 wore out I bought another 11, no regrets. I use a very slim rubber case for drop protection and a screen protector, no plans to change that.

I like to live dangerously...haven't used a case for 5-6 years. Always a screen protector though. That's one reason I really like the Active line. IIRC, they started out by marketing them to be used underwater.
I just have the otter box or whatever for drops, not the full lifeproof which in my experience are a huge PITA.

I just have the otter box or whatever for drops, not the full lifeproof which in my experience are a huge PITA.
The Otter has saved me countless times...it's slim, pocket friendly, and hardy.

I just bought another iPhone 6+ after the first one bit the dust. I like the small size, and it runs the most current IOS. My next phone is likely the 12 mini - just waiting for the price to dip after a couple more years. Otter box defender works well

Reactions: JDH
There’s only about 500 million people worldwide using the i phone. I don’t really know anyone who isn’t using an i phone.

Everything here is spot on. pay more to get more; especially to get more consistent use over time. My Macs and apple products just last longer, no matter what I put them through.

I will never get an iPhone. I hate Apple. I was a PC user forever, switched to Mac for my laptop a few years ago, and I will never make that mistake again. I find Apple products not user-friendly or intuitive at all. Not to mention battery life sucks after a short amount of time, and didn't Apple get in trouble a few years ago for intentionally slowing down the operating systems on older phones to try to make people buy new ones?

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy for half the price of a new iPhone and so far I love it.

I will never get an iPhone. I hate Apple. I was a PC user forever, switched to Mac for my personal laptop a few years ago, and I will never make that mistake again. I find Apple products not user-friendly or intuitive at all. Not to mention battery life sucks after a short amount of time, and didn't Apple get in trouble a few years ago for intentionally slowing down the operating systems on older phones to try to make people buy new ones?

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy for half the price of a new iPhone and so far I love it.
That was quite a few years ago. In settings you can see how your battery is holding up, and pay for a replacement battery if needed.

I'm about to upgrade my Samsung S8+ to an Iphone. The security and emergency message capability have me ready to make the switch.

I was what felt like an android holdout years ago with the "active" line of samsung galaxy. The new phones are all so much more durable and water resistant than they used to be so that isn't even a selling point any more IMO. I don't even see a reason for something as substantial as an otter box now. I have some cheap super slim case from prime, no screen protector, and have dropped or accidentally tossed my current phone (Iphone Xs max) countless times and the screen isn't even cracked. I take it in the shower with me unprotected to listen to podcasts, don't worry if it gets soaked in my pocket at the lake or in rain, etc.

I dont know if the iphones do any one thing that is ground breaking better than samsung but there are so many little things that I would now be irritated about if I didn't have. The imessage capabilities for one. I can't send a trail cam video or pic to my dad's samsung without it being garbage quality. That's not the case when sending pics or videos to other iphones.

I can totally understand the desire to not want to support Apple, but i'm suckered and stuck now.

I've had both Iphones and Samsung galaxies. I'm pretty rough on phones, breaking the screen within a couple months of owning the phone and I can replace it with a couple generations older Samsung for a for a couple hundred bucks. I also like being able insert micro SD cards for extra storage. It's helpful when checking trail cams to put the SD card directly in the phone and download the images. My understanding is Iphones don't have an SD port and you're stuck with the storage capacity the phone Comes with. I currently have a galaxy s10+ and have so far gone around 11 months without breaking the screen, probably the hardiest phone I've had since Nokia. My only issue is I got rocks in the charging port so I'm stuck to charging wireless now.

I was shopping phone cases recently and found some in the $20 range that have sliding camera protectors on the back side that you open up when you want to use the camera and close when you don’t. That’s a feature I really wish all phone cases had to protect the lenses. I picked one up, and I’m sure the “lock” on the slider will wear out eventually, but so far I really like it at like half the cost of the otter box.

Generally people tend to stick with the platform they are used to. You certainly can switch just the learning curve will be a little longer. I wouldn't overlook the Google Pixel devices. Tend to get a little more bang for your buck, and good cameras. Definitely get a good case, takes little to nothing to break a screen.

I will never get an iPhone. I hate Apple. I was a PC user forever, switched to Mac for my laptop a few years ago, and I will never make that mistake again. I find Apple products not user-friendly or intuitive at all. Not to mention battery life sucks after a short amount of time, and didn't Apple get in trouble a few years ago for intentionally slowing down the operating systems on older phones to try to make people buy new ones?

I've used both for decades... PC hardware just sucks in comparison.

I have a daily driver MacBook Pro from 2012 that still works great. I've owned tons of PCs at similar or higher price points and none has lasted over 3 years.

PCs run more software, are easier to customize and allow you to do more, Apple controls everything and forces software and workflows on you which blows.

As far as phones go, I think the android OS blows. It's just way harder to use, I spend enough time on a computer every day that I don't want to constantly have to screw around with my phone to get it to work.

Definitely a to each his own kinda thing... but I like that at least one device that's plug and play.

Generally people tend to stick with the platform they are used to. You certainly can switch just the learning curve will be a little longer. I wouldn't overlook the Google Pixel devices. Tend to get a little more bang for your buck, and good cameras. Definitely get a good case, takes little to nothing to break a screen.
That's one of the main things holding me back is that I don't want to relearn a new system. But I have an iPad at work so the compatibility would be nice.
I've had both Iphones and Samsung galaxies. I'm pretty rough on phones, breaking the screen within a couple months of owning the phone and I can replace it with a couple generations older Samsung for a for a couple hundred bucks. I also like being able insert micro SD cards for extra storage. It's helpful when checking trail cams to put the SD card directly in the phone and download the images. My understanding is Iphones don't have an SD port and you're stuck with the storage capacity the phone Comes with. I currently have a galaxy s10+ and have so far gone around 11 months without breaking the screen, probably the hardiest phone I've had since Nokia. My only issue is I got rocks in the charging port so I'm stuck to charging wireless now.
That's a good point also. I normally use full size cards but it would be nice to not worry about the adaptor.
My S8 Active has dents all the way around the screen. Only thing I've broke on it was the lens covering the camera - which was easy to fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back