New MR Metcalf Pack video

How big is it? Looks small, maybe ideal for a day pack, or long weekend, but nothing close to a 7-10day pack.

Is MR going to go light weight bag/frame any time soon? I love my MR pack, but am tired of packing 10lb empty... I have another pack on order that's over 5lbs lighter. We'll see how it handles before the MR 6500/CC package goes up for sale. I have a feeling someone will be getting a "sweet" package deal.

Now before all the purists get all bent out of shape... I've been lugging a MR for 8 years... I love it, but the extra bulk sucks, especially when then there are others out there that weigh a LOT less. Lets face it, we're backpacking, weight is everything. My fat ass could lose weight, but its easier for me to lose it on my back. :) I'll be cutting almost 10lbs off my pack this fall, half of that will be in my MR pack.

MR needs to step up and come out with something competitive in the light weight category. They're losing me as a consumer I think. I'll let you know later this year, once I strap on 100lbs of moose antlers to the new pack and see if I change my tune...

Couldn't agree more. I love my mystery ranch pack and honestly it would be just fine for 75% of the hunts that I do. And down in the states probably 100%. But for the longer adventures of 5 days plus I can't see the sense in having a pack that weighs 10 lbs before you even start to put stuff in it.

My MR pack will be for sale also this spring, priced 5 dollars below bambistews ;)

I can't decide between kifaru or stone glacier, but will probably go with the kifaru...

Couldn't agree more. I love my mystery ranch pack and honestly it would be just fine for 75% of the hunts that I do. And down in the states probably 100%. But for the longer adventures of 5 days plus I can't see the sense in having a pack that weighs 10 lbs before you even start to put stuff in it.

My MR pack will be for sale also this spring, priced 5 dollars below bambistews ;)

I can't decide between kifaru or stone glacier, but will probably go with the kifaru...

X3. I love my Crew Cab and still think it is the best expandable day pack option, but in the expedition pack class, MR is just too heavy to be competitive. And honestly, it bothers me to say that as I really like the guys at MR and they have treated me very well.

Hey Bambi....

How big is it?

Now before all the purists get all bent out of shape... I've been lugging a MR for 8 years... I love it, but the extra bulk sucks, especially when then there are others out there that weigh a LOT less. Lets face it, we're backpacking, weight is everything. My fat ass could lose weight, but its easier for me to lose it on my back. :) I'll be cutting almost 10lbs off my pack this fall, half of that will be in my MR pack
All of that good cooking from the new MRS is going to cost Bambi a few $$$......I never thought I would see the day where Bambi would cash in the MR packs....It probably is easier to buy a new pack than lose those last 10 lbs :)

MR has stuck to tried and true, and for a long time their durability won over much of the battle. Little by little though Kifaru managed to play some catch up in marketing their durabilitiy, and even beat them out in innovation. I dare say the options both past and present for the Duplex frame have made the concept behind the Nice Frame look weak.

Add in that Stone Glacier is getting started, I hope MR has a new frame with functional load lifters soon. Knock some weight off of it and it would sell like crazy based on reputation alone.

Wyodeerhunter/Bambistew, all you'd have to do is shave your manginas and you'd be good to go..

MR has stuck to tried and true, and for a long time their durability won over much of the battle. Little by little though Kifaru managed to play some catch up in marketing their durabilitiy, and even beat them out in innovation. I dare say the options both past and present for the Duplex frame have made the concept behind the Nice Frame look weak.

Add in that Stone Glacier is getting started, I hope MR has a new frame with functional load lifters soon. Knock some weight off of it and it would sell like crazy based on reputation alone.

So true, if they came out with a lightweight pack I'd be one of the first to buy them based on my experience with the MR packs. I hope Seacat or whoever is in charge over there sees this thread.

Wyodeerhunter/Bambistew, all you'd have to do is shave your manginas and you'd be good to go..

I've thought about it. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age but when you hike 19 miles back one way and then have to come back that 19 miles your back tells your brain "hey %#$@## drop some weight".

The last thing I wanted to do is buy another pack. But if it's going to save me 5 lbs.... thats a few beers I can bring to celebrate.

P1010178.jpg

just saying...................

I will be completely honest, I am a gear nut and am looking for a reason to own an MR Expedition pack. However, all of the Nice Frame packs won't provide my tall lanky self any shoulder lift. So the 6500 and 7500 have frame extensions, but when I can see that they look floppy in some pictures I question their value. The Metcalf's frame extension really doesn't look like it would do much for me.

So that brings me to the dedicated expedition packs, but all of them weigh in at very close to 10lbs straight out of the box. Kifaru packs ran anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 the weight and my pack upgrade was partially made in an effort to cut weight. It made my decision a bit easier, as tough as the MR packs are.

However, I understand the issue. If they were to come out with say a 25 or 26 inch Nice Frame upgrade, how many loyal MR customers would be tict because all of the new bags won't fit their current frame?

So the only answer in my mind is simply a dedicated LIGHTWEIGHT pack in the 5500 to 7000 cui range with true shoulder lift and load hauling capabilities. Would love to see it! I would love for that to be the second MR pack that I own.

I will be completely honest, I am a gear nut and am looking for a reason to own an MR Expedition pack. However, all of the Nice Frame packs won't provide my tall lanky self any shoulder lift. So the 6500 and 7500 have frame extensions, but when I can see that they look floppy in some pictures I question their value. The Metcalf's frame extension really doesn't look like it would do much for me.

So that brings me to the dedicated expedition packs, but all of them weigh in at very close to 10lbs straight out of the box. Kifaru packs ran anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 the weight and my pack upgrade was partially made in an effort to cut weight. It made my decision a bit easier, as tough as the MR packs are.

However, I understand the issue. If they were to come out with say a 25 or 26 inch Nice Frame upgrade, how many loyal MR customers would be tict because all of the new bags won't fit their current frame?

So the only answer in my mind is simply a dedicated LIGHTWEIGHT pack in the 5500 to 7000 cui range with true shoulder lift and load hauling capabilities. Would love to see it! I would love for that to be the second MR pack that I own.

After 1 season with Mystery Ranch, this is my answer:

http://www.kifaru.net/KU.html

Total weight of 2lb13oz for 5200 cubic inches. My MR was over 9lbs for 6500 cubic inches. I'll give you some field experience after the snow melts...

I ended up with a G2 Long hunter guide. I put a MR daypack lid on after i gutted all the extras.

I don't know you guys...those Stone Glaciers wouldn't match my camo:D Kidding, kidding, they look saaawwweeetttt, but I love my Longbow!

For everyone out there wondering about this bag... it's the best of all worlds. Without a doubt, the best bag for 1-7 days in our lineup. For extended backpack sheep hunts not supported by horses, I choose the 6500. The 6500 is designed for hard use by guides and hunters that do those types of trips every year... if a lightweight option that doesn't carry as well suits you on the rare occasion you do a 10+ day backpacking trip... choose a different company.

Here's the skinny on the Metcalf. We'll release photos soon on our website, just getting it dialed.

We stripped everything extra off this pack, added a built in frame extension to accommodate those folks that didn't like the configuration of the load lifters on our smaller NICE frame options (fits like a dream and I'm 6'2")... that added weight, but we still increased the cubic inches to 3600... that doesn't include the shroud, or the Day Pack Lid... add all those together and you have an over 5000 cubic inch pack. This pack compresses down further than a Longbow and also weighs less. Just as Greenhorn commented about why we just didn't build a bigger Longbow... I agree with him... the design and features of the Metcalf are technically superior to the Longbow design (I should know, I was a part of the team that built them both)... I've been working to release the Metcalf for over 2 years, finally it's ALIVE.

I used the pack on every trip I did this fall, including a 17 day (horseback supported) sheep, moose, and caribou hunt in the NWT, a 5 day rifle elk hunt turned Mule Deer success story, and a late season 7 day elk hunt. The pack performs no matter what you have loaded in there. Camp, no problem, meat no problem, both... no problem. The side zip access is phenomenal when pulling out spotters, and getting access to your entire bag with only unclipping two compression straps... we also listened to our customers on this point... most people didn't like how you had to undo lots of straps when using the Crew Cab. We're getting better, and mostly it's because of customer feedback and suggestions.

We seeded this pack on 6 users with experience using the Crew Cab, Longbow, and 6500 bag... everyone of them came back with the same feedback... for trips under 7 days, there's no better bag for the NICE frame, this includes Day Hunts.

This pack also carries better than any of the other bags IMO. During the last 8 hour push of my 50 hour elk pack out epic this fall, I had 120 pounds of meat, antlers, and gear. I separated the frame from the bag, carried a bone in quarter between the bag and the frame, packed all my personal gear in the main bag, both tenderloins, and the head (sans cape, lower jaw, etc)... My hunt lasted 7 days, and my hunting partner, Adam Foss also carried a Metcalf...

We're coming up on 3 hunting trade shows where we'll be showing/selling this bag... Wild Sheep in Reno, Western Hunting and Conservation in SLC, and RMEF in Las Vegas. We'll be launching the Metcalf online for sale in the coming weeks... numbers are always limited so if you NEED one, hit us up immediately... I'll post here when they're for sale. For anyone coming to the shows, please come by the MR booth and I'll walk you through exactly how I personally use the pack and see if you can use it to fit to your personal hunting style.

I'm really proud of this addition to our lineup.

Mark Seacat/Mystery Ranch Backpacks.

For weigh conscious hunters who already have a NICE Frame, this pack will solve solutions for you that our line didn't before.

if a lightweight option that doesn't carry as well suits you on the rare occasion you do a 10+ day backpacking trip... choose a different company.

I think you guys are really missing an ever growing group of hunters that are going in super light and returning with heavy packs. Its not about 10 days. It's about bringing out a deboned animal, cape, antlers and gear long distances in one trip.

And who's to say they are not as comfortable? Pretty bold statement there. I like your style :)

So many different bag options. And of course the latest pack is THE BEST. Heck it wasn't long ago when Greenhorn was on here talking up the longbow. A year or two down the road and the metcalf will be cast aside. Of course thats when you guys finally wake up and come out with that UL pack ;) ;).

I Kind of hope the show booth/pack sale is like a hair salon. I lean back, get my scalp massaged and told why I need this pack, then leave with a receipt in my pocket!!!

See ya at WSF

How much is this new bag $?

650ish. Can't decide for sure whether or not to sell the MR pack or just keep it. Maybe best to get rid of it while its still worth some $$$ and all the latest greatest packs come out????

I'm currently taking the insulation off about 500 lbs of BIG 500MCM copper I got off the jobsite last week. Should bring a couple thousand bucks to buy new gear with :D

I think you guys are really missing an ever growing group of hunters that are going in super light and returning with heavy packs. Its not about 10 days. It's about bringing out a deboned animal, cape, antlers and gear long distances in one trip.

And who's to say they are not as comfortable? Pretty bold statement there. I like your style :)

So many different bag options. And of course the latest pack is THE BEST. Heck it wasn't long ago when Greenhorn was on here talking up the longbow. A year or two down the road and the metcalf will be cast aside. Of course thats when you guys finally wake up and come out with that UL pack ;) ;).

Don't be a pussy, I've seen the valley of which you speak. My 65 year old father could walk it:D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back