New Mexico Unit 51 or 52

SafarisWestCam

I am looking at doing a partially guided archery hunt in either unit 51 or 52 in New Mexico this year. We have been hunting in Southwest Colorado but not thrilled with the decline in elk numbers over the last few years so we are looking to branch out. My hunting buddies and I love to hunt elk and not afraid to put on the miles. We are looking for any advice anyone is willing to share about which unit may be better than the other. We are not looking for giants but wanting an area over objective to have as high a chance as possible for some flat-landers from NC. I am knew to the forum world so thanks in advance for any advice.

I hunted there a while back. Can not remember the unit number. The unit included Mount San Antonio. It is an extinct volcano that sits in the middle of a wide open plain. I bought a tag and stayed at a "spike camp" organized by an outfitter. They provided meals and tents. Many at the camp had success. Nothing special. Those that had success: 1. went away from the crowds (and there are crowds) 2. Climbed Mt. San Antonio in the wee morning hours and waited all day for the elk. The other option is to find a guide with a horse and take to the top $200.00. You better be in great shape to climb the Mt. The guys that did it trained all summer longer. I got 1/2 up and died. When I looked back down I could hardly see my truck. When you drive up to the Mt. it looks NOT too big until you start climbing. ATV are prohibited on the Mt.
1. Have a truck with good tires
2. Get away from the crowds (there are plenty of those areas)
3. Take your time and sit and watch..... other people will move the elk.

PS: welcome to the forum

I hunted there a while back. Can not remember the unit number. The unit included Mount San Antonio. It is an extinct volcano that sits in the middle of a wide open plain. I bought a tag and stayed at a "spike camp" organized by an outfitter. They provided meals and tents. Many at the camp had success. Nothing special. Those that had success: 1. went away from the crowds (and there are crowds) 2. Climbed Mt. San Antonio in the wee morning hours and waited all day for the elk. The other option is to find a guide with a horse and take to the top $200.00. You better be in great shape to climb the Mt. The guys that did it trained all summer longer. I got 1/2 up and died. When I looked back down I could hardly see my truck. When you drive up to the Mt. it looks NOT too big until you start climbing. ATV are prohibited on the Mt.
1. Have a truck with good tires
2. Get away from the crowds (there are plenty of those areas)
3. Take your time and sit and watch..... other people will move the elk.

PS: welcome to the forum

Thanks for the input!!! I will be sure to check out Mt. San Antonio on the maps.

Lot of stories about camp theft in that area.

Beautiful country! Lots of landowner tags in the past so it can get a little crowded, but like they say "get away from the roads" a little and you should be fine especially compared to OTC Colorado units. You might look into hiring a packer for drop camp.

Hunted 52 last year. Lots of elk but nothing over a small five point. The unit is basically a giant volcano. Most of the hunting is down and you will enjoy long hikes up out in the dark. You can get some awesome glassing in though. Not a unit I would go back to.

Lot's of love for #52 from fellow hunters. I'm actually heading into 52 to scout this coming weekend. Planning on hitting road #87 and hiking into the basin area. Scouting for elk and to see if my little hatchback can handle the road. Super pumped just to get out there.

Beautiful country in that unit. Got snowed on pretty good the year I hunted it. Not sure if I would take a "hatchback" in there during rifle season, roads got messy. Might be ok during archery.

I've hunted both units and prefer 51 over 52, just because it is a larger unit and less crowded compared to 52. I preferred the heavily wooded area versus the open flats and San Antonio mountain.

Lot's of love for #52 from fellow hunters. I'm actually heading into 52 to scout this coming weekend. Planning on hitting road #87 and hiking into the basin area. Scouting for elk and to see if my little hatchback can handle the road. Super pumped just to get out there.

That might be a long hike this weekend. I suspect it is still snowed in. 3 weeks ago snow across the road got deep 1 mile past the bridge. It has snowed since then. 4 wheeler maybe. Truck iffy. Hatchback not likely. Once it thaws and dries things change.

I have a connection that only has 300 acres of alfalfa in 51 and has offered to get me a tag. I have zero knowledge about the state or unit. How should I approach this ? Is it worth even trying ? I am open to anytime of yr and any weapon really.

orarcher, Presume you are talking about a landowner voucher versus a limited draw tag? Will it be ranch only restricted or a tag that can be hunted unit wide. Critical distinction you need to know (for sure).

I would imagine, even if the voucher was ranch only, that alfalfa in that unit would be a pretty big attractant for elk.

Kinda what I thought I just wasn't sure if the state had deadlines and such for landowners to submit names for the tag and are there specific seasons and restrictions like killing a bull or cow etc.

Orarcher,

A landowner has to apply for their land to be approved as "ELK Habitat" if approved they will get a certain number of tags based on amount of land. Those tags are kind of a lottery. They could be riffle, archery, cow, any sex, or bull only. They wont know until they get the tag in the spring. Also Dont quote me on this but I think it takes a minimum of 400 acres to be considered a "small ranch" and small ranch owners dont get tags every year. usually every other year.

If your contact does already have approved land and receives land owner tags they will know what kind of tag it is, they would also have to have chose if they wanted ranch only or unit wide. They can issue the land owner tag to someone at any time they want until the season is closed.

Hope this helps

Back