MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Unit 45 Muley Hunt

NMHoula

Hey y’all,
Just thought I’d try and start a thread about Unit 45 here in NM. I live close to this unit but generally hunt other parts of the state and just want to try and keep a pulse on things (rain, growth, fires, etc.). I’ve scouted up there twice so far this year and have seen quite a few does but hardly any bucks. What I thought was interesting as well was the amount of pregnant doe I saw just 2 weeks ago. Obviously don’t want to make this a “Honey Hole” conversation. Just trying to see how the animals are acting.

I’ve been up scouting and seen similar: does everywhere, with only a few very young bucks with them.

Usually just the young ones. Otherwise is bachelor groups. On another note: there's been great rain all week in the unit!

Cool unit. Might apply there next year since I drew in a nearby unit this year. Glad they're getting rain.

Went up again this past weekend and put in some good miles. Rain has been nice and steady (got rained on on Saturday). Saw a good amount of does and a few bear hunters. A buddy of mine was in the area but lower in elevation and saw some 3x's and 4x's (still in velvet with good growth). Still have plenty of time to get a few more trips in before the season so i'll keep posting till then.

Went up again this past weekend and put in some good miles. Rain has been nice and steady (got rained on on Saturday). Saw a good amount of does and a few bear hunters. A buddy of mine was in the area but lower in elevation and saw some 3x's and 4x's (still in velvet with good growth). Still have plenty of time to get a few more trips in before the season so i'll keep posting till then.

What was the camping scene like? Keep hearing NM is packed with people camping and hiking. Did it seem pretty crowded to u?

For established camp sites, and areas that are generally used for camping its been pretty busy (COVID has everybody out doors). However, if you can kick it to 4x4 and push a little further up you'll get away from the press. There are plenty side roads that the weekenders don't use (the Pecos does get a lot of back packers this time of the year). Where we were at, we didn't see people until we were driving down. Also, I was up in 51a last weekend and it was packed up there next to Hopewell Lake but on the Canjilon side it was dead further in. I think as school starts and the weather cools it'll keep diein down.

For established camp sites, and areas that are generally used for camping its been pretty busy (COVID has everybody out doors). However, if you can kick it to 4x4 and push a little further up you'll get away from the press. There are plenty side roads that the weekenders don't use (the Pecos does get a lot of back packers this time of the year). Where we were at, we didn't see people until we were driving down. Also, I was up in 51a last weekend and it was packed up there next to Hopewell Lake but on the Canjilon side it was dead further in. I think as school starts and the weather cools it'll keep diein down.

Thanks for the intel! Figure I should be able to find a flat spot to pitch a tent in October.

Planning a trip out of Iron Gate tomorrow for 10-12 miles. Let you know what I do/don't see.
Sounds great! We actually went up to the Mora area on Sunday and did some squirrel hunting/scouting. We only did about 5-6 miles through the dark timber. Saw a lot of sign (deer and elk) but no animals. It was still good to get up though since we hadn't been out since before the Medio fire.

Put in 10.5 miles and 3100' of vert. Saw fresh sign everywhere and quite a few younger bucks or does with fawns. Most of the animals were around 9500' +/-, and activity had all but stopped by 8am. That being said, since I was headed to a completely new spot I didn't get on the trail until just before 7am. I spotted one really big-bodied deer in some timber. I never got a second look or sight of the head. It had to have been a buck though. At my target meadow, I wasn't seeing anything and fifteen minutes later a bowhunter coming out right across the meadow partially explained that. He never saw me and was on a b-line out of there so I never got a chance to chat with him unfortunately. Overall, it seems to have been a good growing season as there is a lot of growth. It doesn't appear that there has been a good soaking in the last few weeks tho as water was pretty scarce.

Put in 10.5 miles and 3100' of vert. Saw fresh sign everywhere and quite a few younger bucks or does with fawns. Most of the animals were around 9500' +/-, and activity had all but stopped by 8am. That being said, since I was headed to a completely new spot I didn't get on the trail until just before 7am. I spotted one really big-bodied deer in some timber. I never got a second look or sight of the head. It had to have been a buck though. At my target meadow, I wasn't seeing anything and fifteen minutes later a bowhunter coming out right across the meadow partially explained that. He never saw me and was on a b-line out of there so I never got a chance to chat with him unfortunately. Overall, it seems to have been a good growing season as there is a lot of growth. It doesn't appear that there has been a good soaking in the last few weeks tho as water was pretty scarce.
Seems like it's been pretty dry out that way. Do u think I should focus on finding water for upcoming deer hunt or is it not at that level yet?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back