New Mexico Unit 45 - First trip

SCRUTT

A buddy and I just drew our first Mule Deer tag in Unit 45 for the late Oct through early Nov rifle season. Not asking for special locations but any help will be greatly appreciated. What kind of weather should we expect that time of year for highs and lows? What elevations should we focus on for animals, or are they all spread out? We are in good shape and will most likely set up a spike camp or a camper and drive out to day hunt areas. We're going to try and get out there and scout at some point but due to the distance and time from work, it may be a very short trip. Good luck and Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as yourself and look to be on this hunt solo. I've searched the forums on here and have PM'd a handful of members here who have provided some great tips. I'm in ABQ so I'll definitely be able to get some scouting trips in closer to season.

I'm in the same boat as yourself and look to be on this hunt solo. I've searched the forums on here and have PM'd a handful of members here who have provided some great tips. I'm in ABQ so I'll definitely be able to get some scouting trips in closer to season.
That's awesome. Hope you get it done. Santa Fe is about a 13 hour drive for us so I'm trying to find the best time August-October to come out and get eyes on the place but I'm not sure I can get it done. I'm going to call either NMGF or NFS and find out about road openings during this season.

There's another unit 45 thread. Cant remember what they said tho. The biologists I talked to weren't super into hunting the areas above treeline. That's about all I remember them saying when I was researching this unit (didn't draw here).

Good luck!

I drew the November hunt this year and have seen you post in multiple spots offering help. I’ve done lots of research and phone calls to game and fish. I was wondering if you might help a guy out with some general questions about terrain animals and leaving rigs at trailheads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back