New Mexico unit 45 advice

nwihunter

A buddy and myself have drawn unit 45 second rifle season tags, October 19-23. I have only been on 2 western hunts and both were diy otc archery elk in Colorado, so my experience is very limited. This isn’t a post asking where to go to kill an elk. I get how that works on this site. We are doing a drop camp so our general are is pretty much set. I’m looking more for info on what to expect in that area and maybe techniques used at that time of year to find elk. What will weather be like? The area looks to have a lot of trails, are they used much this time of year by hikers? Is it an area that is good for glassing? Will the elk be moving down in elevation because of snow fall? Is it going to be nasty thick stuff thats impossible to walk through. My partner has talked to the outfitter already but I have not. I’m going to get a list of questions together before I call them. I don’t have a problem with getting out there and busting my ass and coming home without an elk. I know it’s a learning process, but if anyone has some info or advice for the area it would be greatly appreciated.

Snow could or will be an issue.
Good glassing country.
Most of the hikers will be gone for year as it will be post aspen color change time. Start of winter is on in Sangres.
There is as much nasty thick stuff as open grass meadows.
Talk to the outfitter. How far in & where?

NWI-

Can you share where your general area is going to be? The Pecos is pretty big and has everything from high alpine to full canopy forest. The weather could be blinding snow or some of the prettiest days you've ever seen, but guaranteed it will be freezing at night. Most hikers have headed home for the season but outfitters will be in full force. It's been my experience over the past few years that the elk will still be up high - it takes a surprising amount of snow to drive them low. There are a lot of burn areas and blowdown that will make you hate your life but that's exactly where i hunt, because that's where the elk are. Pick your general area, find some burns and hunt the fringes of those burns. Also, bring your bugle and cow calls just for kicks. I've heard them screaming in late Oct more than once.

Hit me up if you've got more questions, i live right next door to the pecos and know it pretty well.

A buddy and myself have drawn unit 45 second rifle season tags, October 19-23. I have only been on 2 western hunts and both were diy otc archery elk in Colorado, so my experience is very limited. This isn’t a post asking where to go to kill an elk. I get how that works on this site. We are doing a drop camp so our general are is pretty much set. I’m looking more for info on what to expect in that area and maybe techniques used at that time of year to find elk. What will weather be like? The area looks to have a lot of trails, are they used much this time of year by hikers? Is it an area that is good for glassing? Will the elk be moving down in elevation because of snow fall? Is it going to be nasty thick stuff thats impossible to walk through. My partner has talked to the outfitter already but I have not. I’m going to get a list of questions together before I call them. I don’t have a problem with getting out there and busting my ass and coming home without an elk. I know it’s a learning process, but if anyone has some info or advice for the area it would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you starting? I've hunted there for 5 years or so and will be there second Archery this year. Happy to share what we find then.

Weather the last several years has truly run the gamut. I've sweat and froze the last weekend in October (we mule deer hunt yearly in first rifle). Through the Pecos are several well used trails but I have only seen two hikers in that time frame. Contrast that with 2nd archery in September. Hikers everywhere. The trails however are a pretty decent way to get around. They are generally clear and pleasant walking.

The PW has several different types of topography. Some of it is full of briars and others are clear woods. There are places easy to glass with decent meadows. Good luck.

I drew the first rifle tag for 45 as well. Get in touch with me and i can share all i learn after my hunt. If anyone has any knowledge and would like to share im all ears!! Ive done a ton of escouting and would like to run some spots by some people. First time elk hunter here!

Where are you starting? I've hunted there for 5 years or so and will be there second Archery this year. Happy to share what we find then.

Weather the last several years has truly run the gamut. I've sweat and froze the last weekend in October (we mule deer hunt yearly in first rifle). Through the Pecos are several well used trails but I have only seen two hikers in that time frame. Contrast that with 2nd archery in September. Hikers everywhere. The trails however are a pretty decent way to get around. They are generally clear and pleasant walking.

The PW has several different types of topography. Some of it is full of briars and others are clear woods. There are places easy to glass with decent meadows. Good luck.
How did your archery hunt go? I have the same tag this year.. 2nd archery. Any help would be greatly appreciated

NWI-

Can you share where your general area is going to be? The Pecos is pretty big and has everything from high alpine to full canopy forest. The weather could be blinding snow or some of the prettiest days you've ever seen, but guaranteed it will be freezing at night. Most hikers have headed home for the season but outfitters will be in full force. It's been my experience over the past few years that the elk will still be up high - it takes a surprising amount of snow to drive them low. There are a lot of burn areas and blowdown that will make you hate your life but that's exactly where i hunt, because that's where the elk are. Pick your general area, find some burns and hunt the fringes of those burns. Also, bring your bugle and cow calls just for kicks. I've heard them screaming in late Oct more than once.

Hit me up if you've got more questions, i live right next door to the pecos and know it pretty well.
Any advice for 2nd archery?

2019 was a tough year. Rut was late in our area that year. It will likely be hot and relatively dry. The years we have hunted September, temps have been upper 70s or low 80s during the day and cools nicely at night.

We have had decent luck on the N side of mountains after we locate bugles in the big timber. Hunters will be out but not in overwhelming numbers. Where are you starting?

2019 was a tough year. Rut was late in our area that year. It will likely be hot and relatively dry. The years we have hunted September, temps have been upper 70s or low 80s during the day and cools nicely at night.

We have had decent luck on the N side of mountains after we locate bugles in the big timber. Hunters will be out but not in overwhelming numbers. Where are you starting?

I've hunted the pecos side in years before never for archery though but it deffinetly gets crowded. I have a few ideas of where I want to check out unfortunately I wasn't able to scout as I normally would this year. I was thinking of entering off the 518 near the sipapu ski resort

Good luck

I've hunted the pecos side in years before never for archery though but it deffinetly gets crowded. I have a few ideas of where I want to check out unfortunately I wasn't able to scout as I normally would this year. I was thinking of entering off the 518 near the sipapu ski resort

I have a muzzleloader tag in 45 this year. Let me know how it goes. You can pm me

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back