Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico Unit 34 Elk Questions

I know I’m late to the responses here.
I’ll also be in 34 - headed in on Tuesday.
ive spent a fair amount of time scouting and was there just a few days ago hearing bugling left and right.

First time hunt over here! Good luck to y’all!

Stephanie
You'll have fun. Just a matter if you want to shoot the first 30 5pts/small 6pts or hold out for something better. My guess is 98% of guys shoot one of the 1st 30 bulls they see.

I camped and hunted off of Wills Canyon. Plenty of elk, an a more seasoned elk hunter could easily get a nice bull. My first time, and I passed on plenty of smaller animals. If someone is in that area I can tell you where I found tons of animals, just could not close the distance on one I wanted. The area I was in is difficult lit terrain, very thick, and could be a hard pack out. But if you want to be left alone and hear some action, I can send you to a spot.

Well my NM 34 elk hunt lasted all of 30 mins. This was my first morning with my bow and he was down at 7:00. I actually passed on him at first because he was so narrow and short, but as he was walking off broadside at 40 yards his 7x7 and tine length would not let me let him walk. 343" and some change. He only had a 165" base frame or he would have been a a really good bull.

View attachment 193901

View attachment 193902
That’s an awesome bull, congrats to you and your son; I would love to see your trophy’s if you nearly passed on that one!

That’s an awesome bull, congrats to you and your son; I would love to see your trophy’s if you nearly passed on that one!
Thanks. I was happy with him afterwards and score wise was much better than he looked because of being a 7x7 with good tine length. As said this was the first 30 mins of my hunt with a week left in the season and he was narrow and short main beams. Just was not visually what I was looking for at that moment and I wanted to spend some more time with my son in the woods before he heads off to college. I would have been just as happy to let him walk and spend the rest of the hunt looking for something better with my son. Even if it meant eating my tag. Definitely not my biggest bull, but score wise one of the best.

The BEST I have ever eaten! Besides maybe my own lol!!
A few years ago when driving through I saw there wasn't a line at the BBQ place and hurried up and stopped and went. My brother and I were pretty unimpressed and didn't know why there would be a line all the time. After we left we continued to drive out of Cloudcroft and saw Mad Jack's and the line and realized we went to the wrong spot haha. In the end it worked out because my brother got a buck that evening and had we waited in line maybe we would have missed seeing him. But we still need to try Mad Jacks.

I know I am way late, but thats an awesome unit!! Also, don’t go without stopping at Mad Jacks BBQ in Cloudcroft!!

I’m still angry we didn’t get to eat here last year on our trip!!🤬🤬🤬 They were closed due to the “Covid” restrictions.

Well my NM 34 elk hunt lasted all of 30 mins. This was my first morning with my bow and he was down at 7:00. I actually passed on him at first because he was so narrow and short, but as he was walking off broadside at 40 yards his 7x7 and tine length would not let me let him walk. 343" and some change. He only had a 165" base frame or he would have been a a really good bull.

View attachment 193901

View attachment 193902

Some amatuer video of my hunt.

View attachment 193901

View attachment 193902
Nice Bull

I just got my first ever elk tag in New Mexico. It's unit 34 ES and I have a disability card. My hunt starts Oct 8, and I might have someone to help. If I don't, who could I contact that wouldn't charge me a fortune?

I just got my first ever elk tag in New Mexico. It's unit 34 ES and I have a disability card. My hunt starts Oct 8, and I might have someone to help. If I don't, who could I contact that wouldn't charge me a fortune?
Welcome to the forum. Most new users participate in discussions awhile before ordering @ the HT drive-up window. Good luck this fall.

A&M meats in Alamagordo is a good place to take your elk for processing.
I had problems with them last year. I turned 100 lbs of boned elk meat and only got about 60 lbs after processing. I also dropped the head off for a euromount and they lost the head for about 3 months

Back