Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Unit 34 Elk Questions

Quick update- I had a weekend free, so I went out scouting in this unit, more or less for a good base campsite. I’ve never spent too much time in this area in the past, I’ve lived in Ruidoso for about five years as a kid. Such a beautiful place when you’re up high in the mountains, I did see signs of elk, but did not see any besides the ones on the side of the road. Overall was a decent trip and I look forward to the hunt. Was not impressed with the site. I chose to camp, but I have time to find another spot before the hunt.
Understand they have already had pressure on them from 2 archery hunts. Get away from trails and roads. Get on a mountain before daylight and start there. Good luck!

Wife and I made the trip from Arkansas to scout a bit for a day or two, mainly road scouting. We saw some elk but all cows, all on private. Headed out again at daylight tomorrow and Wednesday. Talked to a guy very familiar with area and he thinks numbers are off a bit due to lack of rain.

Wife and I made the trip from Arkansas to scout a bit for a day or two, mainly road scouting. We saw some elk but all cows, all on private. Headed out again at daylight tomorrow and Wednesday. Talked to a guy very familiar with area and he thinks numbers are off a bit due to lack of rain.
As mentioned above by Archelk, the bulls have had pressure on them. I went over the weekend and found a few bulls that I would take if i could. I think with patience and a little bit of effort, we should be Okay getting one. I’ve been at the firing range a few days a week in preparation and walking in my treadmill- the air is thin up there for me and I will have to pack out if I am successful in the area I found

Ended up seeing a few more elk including a couple bulls. Also saw some successful youth hunters, three cows and two nice bulls. I am excited for the hunt! Would anyone be willing to talk with me on the phone about the unit? The scouting trip generated some great info, but also a few more questions. Send me a message or email me at [email protected] if you would like to talk. Thanks, Chuck

Bringing this thread back up.
I was lucky and drew unit 34 archery (2nd) tag for 2024 🙌🙌
Already talking to prior tag holders and just found this thread. Hopefully people are willing to talk on here in DMs or phone call? I’ll hit up few members on here who seem active.
Super excited for this archery hunt
Im coming from CO but am not sure if I’ll make it down there for a preseason scout trip (young baby at home).
So if anyone is willing to talk to me and has hunted or helped on a hunt in this unit please let me know.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back