MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Unit 17

sdkhunter

Trying to do my last minute hunt preparations and having a hard time getting a hold of the CO down in my unit (early archery).... I'll be hunting Sept 2 - 14 (almost all my season). I hunted this unit about 10 years ago so looking for any updates on road/trail/forage conditions and wouldn't mind a finger point or two if you have any specific area's you think it would be worth me checking out -never hurts to have a plan B! First part of the hunt could be tough that early but I'm always up for a challenge... At least I'm in better shape now than I was 10 years ago on my hunt - ha ha... Feel free to PM me or shoot me your number and I can give you a call too... Really, I think I'm just starting to panic and go stir crazy being this close to my hunt!!

I've hunted NM 13 and 52 for anyone that needs some help.

I haven't scouted in it but have driven by it this summer a few times on my way to unit 16e. Last time I drove thru was on August 5 and 6th. It is very green now. Lots of green grass for the herds. Guessing there should be ample water around. Wish I had more intell for you.

Very green with lots of water I heard from a rancher.
Have not hunted it but been in there. I'll ask the local warden,he & his wife have hunts down there.
Ask Nueavo_eph,he knows it more than I do.

hank4elk,
Do you know if Justin Winter the warden for Catron county area (unit 16's)? That was a mane that was given to me by a friend.

Thanks

hank4elk,
Do you know if Justin Winter the warden for Catron county area (unit 16's)? That was a mane that was given to me by a friend.

Thanks

I don't think it's the same one... The name I was given by Game and Fish was Clint - been trying to get a hold of him for a couple of weeks but haven't had any luck....

Good news on the forage! I heard from a couple of other guys that know an outfitter down there that the spring was really good - glad to hear things are still green! Think I'm starting to go stir crazy waiting for my hunt... Leave in 8 days so it's coming up fast!

Most of our rain in SW NM comes in July,Aug.& Sept. We had a fairly wet spring before the monsoons started. Some places have gotten several,several inch downpours. I could use some stream/tank fillers,but it is greener than it has been in years at my place.

We have 2 newer Conservation Officers here. Troy Wood lives in Quemado,but has Datil area which is 17,13,16e and others. I have talked to him several times & he is OK in my book. I am helping scout for his wife's deer hunt & his elk hunt,as I have same general area for a muley & they are new here. PM me & I will give you his #.
The guy in Datil has my area and I have not met him yet & I am terrible with names these days.
Casey is the head honcho & is in Reserve area.
These guys have immense areas to cover,like 3000+ sq mi immense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back